Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

MAGGIEMAE
Explorer
Explorer
There may have been a comment or two which were missed, but so far nothing seems to be publicized about the Verizon Broadband/National Access program. They sell the modem, you plug it in the slot and configure your 'pooter, and then the challenge begins. Oh, the initial cost = about $107.00 for the hardware/software, and $60.00 monthly flat fee for a couple of years. The frustration level is
free, and one could become bald in a few months with this "service".

When (and if) it works and is hooked up to a Verizon Broadband tower, it is somewhat slower than a cable modem, but generally satisfactory. When you venture out of range of such a tower, then the skeet-shoot begins. And if one gets so far afield that the regular cell phone coverage is under "Extended Network" (translation = a contract with Joe Blow and his flimsy antenna which is supposed to carry the Verizon traffic for a few cents extra per call) then one is probably unable to get "Connected", or will be dropped without notice, losing all copy when the machine goes "Dormant". No keys will awaken it, either.

On balance, a questionable value, and nothing even close to a "National" service. All lies! Caveat emptor!!!
Jim, Rapid City, S.D.
F-250 SD V-10 4X4, HITCHHIKER II LS , Mountain bike and one yellow lab.

04admiral
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried several different ways of doing this email thing while on the road. I gave up and went to Nextel Blackberry phone with email access. It cost $45.00 per month for the internet access plus the normal phone package. The phone cost $149.00 upgrade. It's expensive but it works very well and I am happy. Plus I have nation wide walky talky and all the normal phone stuff. The Blackberry phone also acts as a PDA and sinks to MS Outlook so you have all your email address; phone numbers and so forth. Great system.

brenthunt
Explorer
Explorer
WPSANTENNAS-MATT wrote:
vort max wrote:
i have been trying to find out if verizon's "national access"
exists in my area so as to connect via an aircard.
verizon reps dont seem to know for sure.
since there is verizon digital service would that be the same
as national access?
thanks

I would recommend visiting evdoinfo.com or evdoforums.com.

There is information available and it is updated hourly.

Here's the VerizonWireless.com link. Near the bottom of the page is a link to enter your city and state and it will show you a coverage map.
You can't receive broadband signals but there is a signal I believe the air card will pick up.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/promotion/controller?promotionType=miniPac&action=miniStart

Good luck,

Brent
Brent
BreconProducts.com
eyebowl@softhome.net
๐Ÿ™‚

WPSANTENNAS-MAT
Explorer
Explorer
vort max wrote:
as national access?
thanks

I would recommend visiting evdoinfo.com or evdoforums.com.

There is information available and it is updated hourly.

vort_max
Explorer
Explorer
as national access?
thanks

jim_martin_pa
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff thanks for the info
2006 Allegro 32 BA
on '06 Ford Chassis
2006 Saturn Ion 2
F373167

Jim's RV Tips

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for the info Uncle Q,

If I where planning on using my Internet connection for business I would defiantly purchase the Air Card, however being that my wife and I are actually trying to finger out is we qualify as full timers we will be testing out our qualifications in May of 2006 after we do a month I think then we will know if we can/want to go full timeing. One of the pastimes I have, being somewhat retired is surfing the net and I am very concerned about giving that up. The PCS Vision plan service for sprint alow you to go in through some back door munbo jumbo and not be billed for your air time, unfortunately I have found my nice new A-840 Samsung phone has the modem function blocked, I am trying to save on cost so that I can make this full time idea work.

PS Let me know have the Air Card works out because if we do go fulltime I may just go that way.

Thanks again, Camper_ron

Uncle_Q
Explorer
Explorer
Camper Ron, you say you are a Sprint cell phone user & wonder about internet access. I, too, use the Sprint service and have found it to be pretty reliable and available most everywhere I've travelled.

So, when they announced the free air card program with unlimited usage for $60/mo, I took it. I should say first that I use the internet for my part time business which I pursue on the road, so the constant search for wifi spots became irksome.

I have had the card, Sierra 580, for only a week, so this is definitely a "preliminary" report, but so far I have to give it high marks for reliability and speed. It's almost like broadband where I am parked, but then, I haven't moved to other locations yet, either.

When you consider the cost of broadband in a home environment (in my case also about $60/mo), and when you consider the initial expense and higher monthly charge for satellite, the Sprint plan is a bargain.....if you need reliable, always-there service. The offer is only good for a few more days I believe.

Just my quick review, FYI. Hope it helps.

PS I considered the cell-phone-as-modem concept for many months, but saw the potential of being hit with a huge overuse bill as a formidable-for-me negative.

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the words of wisdom, I am learning the hard way about cell-phones I never owned my own until last month then when I separated from my employer they wanted there cell back, can you believe that (LOL) now I will have more time to camp so this sis why I need to coenct to the Internet. This is the message I got from the only data cable I saw that mentioned the A840-- Modem functionality (Feature NOT available with A840, A880 and Bell Mobility phones)- Use your cell phone as a modem and connect your laptop to the internet anywhere you can get a Cell signal. (This feature WILL require an account be setup (with a monthly fee)with your cell phone provider - please check with them for more information. I think this means I am out of luck? Poor me just trying to preserve my retirement funs.

mekkerfest
Explorer
Explorer
For those not up on computers and interconnections.
There are three basic ways to connect a laptop to the internet:
All three require an account with internet provider (AOL, MSN, Earthlink, Roadrunner, โ€ฆ.)

1. Telephone Landline:
This is the same type of connection you would have in your home if using landline. It requires a modem (which is usually included in your laptop) and a local phone number which your laptop must dial. (So you have to know how to change the phone number in your laptop)
Most campgrounds have at least a single landline connection available in their office or laundry area. You must have local phone number, and you have to wait your turn when others are using it. Many times you also need the telephone cable to connect between the laptop and the wall phone jack. No campground charge for this service.

2. WiFi:
WiFi is basically a radio link from your laptop to a local receiver which can connect to the internet. Most newer laptops have WiFi built in. If not, a WiFi laptop adapter (and software) can be purchased from most electronics stores. Few campgrounds have this capability, but the number is growing. Most require an extra charge. It also requires you to be in close proximity to their receiving antenna. So you should ask for a site which can use that service. (Many Flying Jโ€™s have this service $)

3. Cell Phone:
This requires a connection between the laptop and the cell phone. Go to your cell phone company store and see if there is a connection (cable & software) available for your model phone.
If not, your out of luck - you have to buy a new phone.
If there is a connection available ask what different types of packages are offered.
I am grandfathered into a package with Verizon which does not have a monthly fee (except for my normal cell phone charge). I paid $25 for the cable and software back in 2001. This type of connection is very slow and teaches you patience. I only use it after 9 PM and on weekends.
This connection requires a strong signal between your cell phone and a digital cell tower. There are still some analog towers in remote western locations and the connection will not work.

There is also an expensive satellite connection available. I do not have the experience in that type. I do know that it is fast and can connect to the internet as long as the line of sight to the satellite is not restricted.
Half Timers, RVing since 1966, Check out our trips on www.mekkerfest.com
04 Adventurer 35U + 08 Saturn VUE
Camped in 49 States & 8 Provinces. Visited 48 National Parks

gadgetat
Explorer
Explorer
Ron,

I'm not sure about your specific phone, but here's what I can tell you.

Wireless Carriers, like Sprint, do offer "data" plans. Check with Sprint to see specific costs. Sprint would be your internet provider, you don't need to sign up with a third party.

Finally, there are data cables for USB to computer. I personally use Verizon Wireless, and I have a data cable for my Motorola for connecting to the internet while on the road.

My best suggestion is to check Sprint's web site, or contact a local Sprint store. They can direct you to what phone models do & do not have data cables. I just looked up your phone, and it is 1X data capable. Or, have you considered a PCMCIA card for your computer. The carriers offer those as well.

Rich

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning on traveling for the entire summer. I am trying to figure out how I can use my cell phone and laptop to connect to the Internet. I have read a lot of information regarding this possibilities, the more I read the more confused I get with conflicting information I have read, so let me see if I can simplify it for myself being on the simple side.

1. is my Samsung PM โ€“ A840 cell-phone compatible
2. do I need to add to my Sprint Fair & Flexible plan
3. do I need an internet provider
4. I am having a problem finding a USB Data cable that states I can connect to the Internet I only found one and it only talks about picture and data.

I would love to get hooked up and avoid any high costs seeing we will not be needing the service 100 % of the time, also do not really need a high speed connection. Any specific help would be very much appreciated.

Ron Tremblay, camper_ron@yahoo.com

MrWizard
echo2uuc wrote:
I have sprint and have been using it with my laptop for a long time, well not lately, but I was wondering what can be done if you are in an area that loses a connection like in hills or trees? I'm new with the rv stuff so excuse me if this has been mentioned.

there are external antennas available for cellphones & or aircards

that mount outside the vehicle and connect by cable to a jack behind a rubber plug on the phone.. typicaly $49 - $99

also cellphone amplifier that goes in between the antenna and the phone

output is about 3 watts..which is much more power than the cellphone

I think cellphone wattage is about 1/6 of that amount, around 500 milliwatts ( not positive on that number )

lots of truckers have them .. and RVer's are getting them too

wilson is one of the better known brands
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

echo2uuc
Explorer
Explorer
I have sprint and have been using it with my laptop for a long time, well not lately, but I was wondering what can be done if you are in an area that loses a connection like in hills or trees? I'm new with the rv stuff so excuse me if this has been mentioned.

cwolfs69
Explorer
Explorer
GOT MINE FROM COMP USA FOR $50.00. INCLUDES THE SOFTWARE AND THE CABLE REQUIRED. THE SOFTWARE WILL WORK WITH A LARGE NUMBER OF PHONES. JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET THE KIT WITH THE CORRECT CABLE. WORKS GREAT AFTER AN EASY SET UP. JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU ENABLE THE COMMUNICATIONS FUNCTION ON THE PHONE PRIOR TO LOGGING ON TO THE NET.