Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

swelday
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - I'll give that a try - also heard some people have called Verizon directly and gotten help. Sandi

MrWizard
go to each one ( port map ) set them to USB ,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

swelday
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again - I was able to find the secret service using "open phone-don't press OK" instructions on my LG enV. Was able to set the 1x data. I did not have the option to set "Cable DUN" in #4 data. My options were 1) Port Map (Data); 2) Port Map (Diag) 3) Diag Baud (UART). I've been on the road in a motor home for the past 2 years and have fallen woefully behind on my acronyms - not sure if any of these equate to Cable DUN.

I still get the "Authentication Failed" error with just the 1x data selected. I may have to "pay for internet" as I'm beginning to suspect the back door was closed when our old 2 year plan was up on Verizon. It was great while it lasted (2 years free ain't bad).

Mr. Wizard - Thanks so much for the "Services" code...... I was wondering where this stuff had gone.

Sandi -

MrWizard
enV version 1 is, menu , 0, 000000, network select , 1xonly, OK

the new version 2 firmware ( phone OS ) has a new service access code

my search turned up (2) different possibilities of the entry, the code is the same ##77647269900 ..
7764726 spells program

The new LG's and firmware are now ##program9900 (or 9400, 8700, 8600, etc)

I don't know if this is open or closed, so you may have to try both ways, try it closed first

do not press menu, do it like you were dialing a phone number but don't press send

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open the phone, press OK and then type it in. Do NOT type "program" though - use the numeric reprentation of "program" (7764726) ... in other words, you press ##77647269900

Though maybe you don't need to press the OK first. So try it both ways.

or maybe

Open phone, don't press "OK" (leave it on the default screen) and press "SYM"-3-"SYM"-3-p-r-o-g-r-a-m-9-9-0-0-"SEND" then enter 0-0-0-0-0-0 when it asks for an access code.

The screen should look like you are inputting a number to dial, and it will read "##77647269900" before pressing "Send".

my phone is version 1, so i can't test this to verify which is the correct way or if they all work
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

swelday
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - Trying to connect my new Verizon LG enV as a modem. Previously worked on the LG6000. With new phone I'm getting "Authentication Failed." Tried to get to the service menu using "0" and "#" to put phone in CDMA/digital mode and no EVDO with no luck. The plan worked previously - however, added the Mobile 2 option to get email via the phone. Would still like to use the internet via the phone as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks so much.
Sandi

MrWizard
I belive the 5200 uses the standard service menu access

menu / 0 / 000000 / network select / 1xonly OR cdma only / OK / end

EDIT:

to dial your ISP you do NOT need to disable evdo, the disabling is only for using verizons ISP phone number which is #777

to dial your ISP phone number it is NOT necessary to turn off evdo, dialing your ISP will be treated like a regular phone call

just create a dialup connection and input all info they way they want it.

in fact all you need to do is open the connection mgr, nd copy/duplicate your people PC connection, then open the properties of the copy and change the modem to your lg vx5200 phone/ cdma modem, replacing the modem that s listed there. but it will be a very slow connection about 9-14k

it will NOT be using the verizon 1x backdoor and will not be at the same speed
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone explain in detail, how to disenable the evdo on a LG VX5200 phone? I have the verizon national access plan and would like to be able to access my ISP which is PeoplePC. I have installed the drivers But have been unable to connect. Any help appreciated.

TACamper
Explorer
Explorer
Please disregard above question. I just discovered that the password must be typed in small case letters.

Chalk it up to another simple newbie mistake!

And thanks to Mr.Wizzard for the instructions...very cool!

TACamper
Explorer
Explorer
I've set up my LG8300 and Vista laptop (with MOK installed) following the instructions provided by MrWizzard. The set-up went fine. However, when I try to connect I get an error code 691 saying the user name or password is invalid.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for all help!

MrWizard
the 1x back door, uses the same second generation network as ALL verizon voice signals do.

and it uses your minutes,

verizon actively recruited people to this option, BEFORE they offered unlimited nights and weekends, it sold on the idea of the daily buisness worker, checking email etc.

now they PUSH data plans, I have no idea if they will close off 1x access in the future

a data plan on evdo ( card or PHONE ) is faster than 1x and offers use 24/7 without worring about using up your plan minutes
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

VDOCAD
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Wizard:

I am about to buy one of these phones, get a wireless plan with Data and start using the Internet via my cell phone. My question is:

Is this procedure you describe in detail "using the back door" taking advantage of a loophole in cell phone systems that soon will get corrected and no one else will be able to use it anymore?

MrWizard
your ISp dial up number is set in windows not on the phone.

on port map data you will set your connection cable or Bluetooth

you can dial your your current HOME ISP but the connection will be slow

the best way is to use the 1x back door, the number to dial is #777, your ID is your cellphone number number@vzw3g.com

PW is vzw

follow these instructions in this post, it is the same for the enV as for the lg8100 in the post

so many people are getting NEW phones ( Vcast capable phones ) and want to use the 1x network connection, here are some directions, these are detailed for the lg 8100 on verizon, will work for the 8300 and 9800 and possibly the 5200

this works for my LG vx8100 and should work for your LG from verizon

press MENU

now press the number 0

the screen will say enter service code

now press 0 6 times

a new secret menu list will appear

look for NETWORK SELECT ( on my phone it is number 3 in the list )

choose NETWORK SELECT and press OK

another menu choose 'Mode Preference' press 1 or OK

another menu

with 4 choices

choose '1X Only'

press OK

this will lock the phone to 1x mode

now press END

it should work for you

If you need to setup the phones PC connection and DUN ( dialup networking )

that is also in the service menu

selection #4 'Data'

nothing about this will change your voice phone calls

VOICE calls do NOT use EvDo ( digital hybrid ) mode that you turned off

all you have done so far is , set the phone to act like older phones that did not have Ev-Do broadband data speed capability,

in the service menu under data, scroll down to PC connection and choose 'cable DUN' and choose enable and OK

all you need to do now is make sure the PW & ID are correct in your dialup connection settings

or create a new dialup connection

PW is VZW the ID is cellphonenumber@vzw3g.com

example 5551235656@vzw3g.com

the number to dial is #777

Create your connection

when you go to connect for the first time, click Properties, go to the "Security" Tab, then under security options, you need to select the radio button next to "Advanced (custom settings)" then click the settings button just to the right of the radio button..

when that dialog box comes up, under the "Allow These Protocols" section, you need to uncheck everything but the "Unencrypted Password (PAP)" option. Hit "OK" on the bottom, a dialog will come up saying something about if the connection uses one of the protocols that you just un-selected it wont work, just press "OK", then press "OK" again.. then you will be back at the login screen for the DUN connection.. Press "Connect" it should work from there..

I hope these directions help

more links, i was using a samsung u740 in thsi post
http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15038442/gotomsg/19205321.cfm#1920...
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

WylieWanderings
Explorer
Explorer
I went with your suggestion and purchased the enV and am setting it up...when I get to #4 data on the menu, I have 4 choices: 1.PortMap (Data) 2.PortMap (Diag) 3.Diag Baud (UART) 4. MIP Setting.

Which one of these should I choose to set up through my ISP's dial up number?

Thanks bunches!
2012 Heartland Road Warrior 305, 2007 Chevy 3500HD Duramax/Allison dually:C

"Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor."- Benjamin Franklin

FWMCBigFoot
Explorer
Explorer
I have T-Mobile service, unlimited internet access, through a dedicated air-card that is plugged into the side of my laptop. The air-card has it's own phone number if I choose to send a text message. The aircard was $150 at a T-Mobile store. I'm on it right now at home. The service is faster than dial up but not as fast as I was expecting. It's neat to have internet access while driving down the road or in a remote campground too. I also found T-Mobile to be the least expensive by as much as half price of all the cell phone carriers I checked.
Jim :B
Practicing in the Rolling Project for retirement.

phitur
Explorer
Explorer
It's an iPAQ 2790 with Bluetooth.