F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate
102 REPLIES 102

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have DNS out of LA. Receive the 4 network stations all over the 48 states.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
No but it sounds like it will be much easier to switch my locals when I move if I have Dish versus Directv
I think you're right about that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
DancinCampers wrote:
My DNS via Dish are still good.
Do you actually have DNS or are you changing your local channels to where you park and are receiving those local channels? I'm on DNS with DirecTV and can get New York City channels and Los Angeles channels when boondocking in remote locations where DirecTV has no local channel spot. When I spent 2 hours on the phone with Dish (2 separate calls), they insisted they did NOT have DNS. They said they only allowed you to switch to their spot beams if you were inside that specific beam. ie: I couldn't get LA channels if I was in ALaska.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikestock wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Easy Peasy! $300 in parts and an hour or 2 of labor and you are good to go!

Is this true for the SK-SWM3 Traveler?

Yes. That's what I have as well and will likely have to make the move to DISH if DTV will not provide DNS to their mobile customers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
Going to look at converting the Winegard Traveler over to Dish.
Are you expecting to get DNS via Dish?
No but it sounds like it will be much easier to switch my locals when I move if I have Dish versus Directv
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DNS via Dish are still good.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
Are you expecting to get DNS via Dish?

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Is this true for the SK-SWM3 Traveler?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2chiefsRus wrote:

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I called AT&T today to cancel my Directv due to the problem with Distance Network being discontinued June 1 and the lady told me that they still had hopes that they may get the bill passed through Congress. I cancelled anyway. I have jumped through Directv hoops for over 20 years now and I am just done. Going to look at converting the Winegard Traveler over to Dish.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
but it doesn't help when I'm in Valdez, Alaska trying to get network programming
Valdez dish elevation= 11ยฐ. I haven't checked but I'm not sure my gauge even goes that low!
A bit more than 11 degrees, (18d-52'-09" above the horizon is what you need) but that's why I have an RF Mogul antenna. It tunes down to slightly below the horizon and I get all DirecTV channels including both east and west coast DNS and their full HD lineup in Valdez. When I used a Trav'ler I had to shim the LNB arm and do some very precise manual tuning to get only some of the DirecTV channels. The Trav'ler tunes to approximately 18 degrees above the horizon, but accumulation of small errors in assembly may put that to 16.5-19.5. Some of their assemblies are not very precise.
Pigman & Piglady
Street Atlas USA Plus

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If DTV truly ended DNS service they would also be able to convert NY and LA to spot beam as doing the CONUS broadcast would no longer be necessary. This would add additional capacity to their existing satellites.

Bill that is exactly what I was thinking. Even if I went to the trouble to find an LA or NY address that AT&T would accept it might work for a while until they change those to spot beams like the rest of the country then I would be right back to where I will be on June 1st.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
but it doesn't help when I'm in Valdez, Alaska trying to get network programming
Valdez dish elevation= 11ยฐ. I haven't checked but I'm not sure my gauge even goes that low!

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
was_butnotnow wrote:
I see on another forum monacoers.org this also works on both LA spot beam and also NY spot beam if you declare a local service address in each area.
I would rather get NY locals for earlier recording times.
Shall see if all this goes away on June 1
I understand, but it doesn't help when I'm in Valdez, Alaska trying to get network programming (DNS) from LA. We're just a bit outside the spot beam area for LA.
Pigman & Piglady
Street Atlas USA Plus

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If DTV truly ended DNS service they would also be able to convert NY and LA to spot beam as doing the CONUS broadcast would no longer be necessary. This would add additional capacity to their existing satellites.