cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH 'downgrades' dishanywhere

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a DISH customer for 16 years. I use it at home with a 211k box. When on the road I take my box and tailgater.

At home I used to binge watch some shows or watch an episode I missed. I recently tried to do that and it would not work. It said something like I needed to download a new slingplayer. Which does not download. I called DISH and the 3rd tech help I spoke to told me it now only works with hoppers. I had to keep repeating that I was NOT trying to watch recordings on my dvr or anything live, just the old shows. I'm not going to change my 211k as I need that for the tailgater.

Sad that they took this away. It doesn't make sense with the need for the 211 for the Tailgater.
11 REPLIES 11

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Test % (percent) from RV.net portal.

Link.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch,

Dish on demand viewed from a computer did NOT require the receiver hooked up to the internet as I used it in the past year. My 211 is not connected to the internet and that never stopped me from viewing past episodes on my computer, not on my tv.

Here is what Dish says

Thousands of TV Shows and Movies
On Demand

Similar to Netflix, but at no additional cost.
Watch on your phone, tablet, and computer through
DISH Anywhere and on your HD DVR when its
connected to the internet.

Catch up on missed episodes of HBOs new series Westworld On Demand.

I cannot down load the new dish anywhere player. I am not trying to watch these past episodes through my DVR or TV, just my computer like I used to. I'm not trying anything different. It is Dish who changed things.

TechWriter knows this too.

Been trying to post this for 24 hours - it wont load. It just loaded after I removed a semicolon and apostrophes.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Test

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:

I am NOT trying to watch on a mobile device; I don't have any. I am NOT trying to watch shows from my DVR nor do I want live shows. I want to watch the past episodes I missed on my home computer via the internet. I think Dish now calls that 'on demand' that has to go through dishanywhere, but I may be wrong. This worked last year and now doesn't. Why would they make it impossible with my 211 which I need for my tailgater when they sell it?

It sounds like you were using On Demand. Since DISH VIP 922 DVRs just lost their On Demand ability, it's no surprise that your 211 lost it as well.

It looks like On Demand and DISH Anywhere are heading for Hopper-only use.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Dish Anywhere is an app that connects your remote device to your Hopper3 or Hopper w/Sling so you can stream programs using one of the tuners or stream recorded programs from the DVR using Sling's "place shifting" technology under license from sister company Echostar. SlingTV is an entirely different service owned by Echostar that streams online programing with a separate subscription similar to Hulu, Netflix, etc.

I am NOT trying to watch on a mobile device; I don't have any. I am NOT trying to watch shows from my DVR nor do I want live shows. I want to watch the past episodes I missed on my home computer via the internet. I think Dish now calls that 'on demand' that has to go through dishanywhere, but I may be wrong. This worked last year and now doesn't. Why would they make it impossible with my 211 which I need for my tailgater when they sell it?

Dish On-Demand programming does require an Internet connection at the receiver, but I don't recall it ever requiring the Dish Anywhere app. I no longer have a 211 though, just Hoppers and Joeys, so if they've taken the on-demand feature away from the 211 series receivers, I'm not aware of it. Do you have an Internet connection for your 211?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MrWizard
Two different services
And one of them may no longer be available
Watching past content on pc via internet, is server driven and dish has to pay for the hosting

Using sling box hardware internal or external , means dish does not pay hosting services

Sling tv is a new subscription service, like Netflix hulu etc..
And not related to the op question except for similar names

Afaik the on demand service was never called sling

And only confused the issue
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
I don't have any satellite equipment
But as I understand it "dish anywhere" is internet based
Allowing you to watch programs from your cell phone or tablet
Just put in your account number, log in and watch tv
It is a service that has NOTHING to do with the equipment in the house
It's tied to your account, a digital notation yes/no
It would seem this is a ploy to get users to upgrade to more expensive equipment
If I wanted it bad enough I would raise holy he'll with somebody at dish

I would investigate more into why the sling player won't down load and install allowing you to watch tv on your mobile device

Dish Anywhere is an app that connects your remote device to your Hopper3 or Hopper w/Sling so you can stream programs using one of the tuners or stream recorded programs from the DVR using Sling's "place shifting" technology under license from sister company Echostar. SlingTV is an entirely different service owned by Echostar that streams online programing with a separate subscription similar to Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
It would seem this is a ploy to get users to upgrade to more expensive equipment

I would investigate more into why the sling player won't down load and install allowing you to watch tv on your mobile device

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The dishanywhere.com website says you need a sling-enabled DVR. Things change and sometimes not for the better.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

MrWizard

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Technology changes. Just like a computer a few years old is soon no longer supported. Software and programming techniques change. And old equipment and software often cannot be upgraded to keep up with current programming and memory requirements. You have to go with the flow or accept the limitations of the old.