cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish for HD

dallen54200
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings to all. I recently upgraded to HD in my motorhome. I got the winegard dish installed on the roof and it works great. Before I upgraded to HD I used a Kingdome and carried another dish with two leads that I could use when my Kingdome was in the trees. M question is can I still use that portable dish with the HD44-200 receiver and if so how do I hook it up.
Dave and Sarah
2006 Alfa See Ya Gold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4 Door toad
3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
Bill.SATELLITE - I am a OLD SAT TV guy before HDTV came out.

Reading the comments I see you need to point to three separate satellites 99-101-103 to be able to watch HDTV.

Of course here on OTA antennas you only need one signal to be able to watch HDTV.

I guess it is a bandwidth problem or maybe some sort of decoding one has to do to be legal???

Just curious how it all works... I guess I could look it up online but why not just ask the master hehe...

Roy Ken

How many channels do you get with your OTA antenna? How many hundred more are being broadcast via satellite. More channels more transponders. Run out of transponders (transmitters) put up another satellite with more transponders and you can broadcast more channels.
OTA TV is very limited as all of the broadcasts must be transmitted on the UHF and VHF frequencies channels 2-52 (due to be reduced again to 2-36 IIRC. Additionally, few markets even have channels 2-6 available so you will eventually be down to channels 7-36.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.SATELLITE - I am a OLD SAT TV guy before HDTV came out.

Reading the comments I see you need to point to three separate satellites 99-101-103 to be able to watch HDTV.

Of course here on OTA antennas you only need one signal to be able to watch HDTV.

I guess it is a bandwidth problem or maybe some sort of decoding one has to do to be legal???

Just curious how it all works... I guess I could look it up online but why not just ask the master hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your HR44 Genie requires SWM. You will need to buy a SWM LNB (my recommendation) or add the SWM8 hardware to your existing antenna. The King Dome will not work without adding SWM8 hardware and you will need to check to see if your model is compatible before attempting an addition. No dome will get you the DirecTV HD programming but you would still have SD. To have full use of the Genie you will need a full sized open face Slimline antenna with a SWM3 LNB and you will point it so it lines up with the 99, 101 and 103 satellites. You then need to run only one coax from the antenna to the Genie for full operation.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?