cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WIFI hot spots

ennajean
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone bought a no contract WIFI hotspot. I see them advertised at Walmart and a few other stores. Just wondering if they actually are worth the money.
Anne and Dick

DABEE a 2006 Ford Sportsmobile Penthouse top.
21 REPLIES 21

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gene&Ginny wrote:
I have the 3G Straight Talk "hockey puck" that does quite nicely for email and viewing rv.net. It works on the Verizon network. $15 for 1 gig lasts for a long trip with moderate surfing but no video streaming.

If you are looking at the 4G LTE versions stay away from the AT&T GSM version. I understand the Verizon version works but the speed is reduced. Either of them use the same data card, $15 for 1GB/30 days up to $50 for 5GB/60 days.

This is the one I use.

That's the one I have and it seems to work as it's supposed to. We just buy more gig when we need them. It's not the cheapest, but you can't beat the fact that you not paying for it when you aren't using it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
I have the straightalk 4gLTE hotspot that accesses verizon towers. i have it in a wilson sleek. as with all hotspots signal is the key. it does work fine so far as long as it can detect a verizon tower.

it works no differently than a verizon jetpack. its the way you pay for data that is different

i ordered mine directly from straighttalk. got it in 3 days

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
ennajean...I made my purchase from information gleaned from this very forum. Just be sure you get the one that operates off of Verizon, NOT AT&T. Here is the one I ordered from WalMart: ZTE 288C LTE
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 3G Straight Talk "hockey puck" that does quite nicely for email and viewing rv.net. It works on the Verizon network. $15 for 1 gig lasts for a long trip with moderate surfing but no video streaming.

If you are looking at the 4G LTE versions stay away from the AT&T GSM version. I understand the Verizon version works but the speed is reduced. Either of them use the same data card, $15 for 1GB/30 days up to $50 for 5GB/60 days.

This is the one I use.

Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

ennajean
Explorer
Explorer
Mike thats exactly what I'm looking for. Just to use when we are traveling. Thanks for the info.
Anne and Dick

DABEE a 2006 Ford Sportsmobile Penthouse top.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
For a recent trip out West I purchased the Straight Talk, verizon tower, Hotspot for under $100. I also purchased a 2 gig card for $25. We traveled through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Colorado. The hotspot always functioned as it should. We used it for light surfing, facebook and email and in two weeks barely used 1 gig. That time has now expired (it was for 30 days), so next time I get ready to use it, I'll load 1 gig and be on my way for $15. To load I will either need to call or access the internet from another source. I used the internet to load the first card and it was painless. That's the way I'll load up the next one.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
I pay $35 a month for one in my truck. Works great.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K