cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Carryout GM700 Portable Shaw Direct Satellite Dish

ae5573t
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using a Winegard Carryout GM700 portable satellite dish to receive Shaw Direct programming in the southern US? Thanks.
2018 Thor Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited
4 REPLIES 4

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you could caulk and screw the Trav'ler for Shaw onto the Winegard thin roof mounting plate. I don't think mounting it to wood is a good idea as it could absorb moisture which would get inside to the electronics. The biggest problems are size and weight. If you have somewhere to stow and retrieve easily, and a helping hand to get it in and out, then the only thing you have to do is run the coax(es) plus the control cable inside the coach. The controller could even be outside in a bay that has a 120V plug. You run the control cable there and you would only need to run the coax inside.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you can mount the Trav'ler for Shaw on the Winegard thin roof mounting plate (wood could absorb water and would be a bad idea in my opinion). The biggest problems are size and weight. If you have somewhere to stow easily and a helping hand to get it in and out then the only thing you have to do is run the coax(es) plus the control cable inside the coach. The controller could even be outside in a bay that has a 120V plug. You run the control cable there and you would only need to run the coax inside.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

ae5573t
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill. The GM700 is the carryout made for Shaw Direct. However, I do understand your point about the dish being too small to get both Shaw Direct satellites. I do have a question for you. I already have a dish on top of my RV (for Dish/Direct TV). My manual Shaw Direct dish is really difficult for me to set up and I don't want to mount a second dish on the roof of my RV. If I bought the Winegard large automatic dish that is sold for Shaw Direct, couldn't I mount it on wooden or metal box separate from the RV. Then I would just have to run the wires into the RV from the dish. Am I way off base here? Thanks.
2018 Thor Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
ae5573t wrote:
Is anyone using a Winegard Carryout GM700 portable satellite dish to receive Shaw Direct programming in the southern US? Thanks.

Sorry, that will not work. Even the Carryout designed for Shaw will not work in the US as the signal is too weak. The standard Carryout is not compatible with the Shaw service at all (US or Canada).