cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winegard Travler Owners Manual 72 Sat

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I have the SK3005 Travler and can't get the 72º sat in manual mode. I can get 61 and 82. Either of those locks in within 10 minutes. There ABSOLUTELY/POSITIVELY in nothing blocking the view. I have let it run up to 50 minutes.

Has anyone ever been able to pickup the 72 sat? Which one is it? AMC6 at 72 or Nimiq 5 at 72.7? I know they only use whole numbers in the manual search.

Thanx
29 REPLIES 29

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank You very much for that link. That is exactly what I was trying to accomplish.

Really? That's all you want to do? Use an auto-pointing antenna to manually lock onto a satellite? If so, I profusely apologize!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

az99
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
az99 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

I just don't believe that's going to happen since they can't get their Dish Trav'ler to lock onto 72.7 only.
I will be quite upset with Winegard if that is true since 2 of their supposed tech experts told me it can be done. I have wasted several hours trying it and a lot of wear and tear on the Travler spinning around looking for 72.

Here's an IRV2 thread in which the OP says he acquired sat 72.7 on a DISH Travler.
Thank You very much for that link. That is exactly what I was trying to accomplish.
Just proves again that when you want good tech info about Winegard products it is best not to call them.

I talked to 2 people at Winegard and one of those even discussed it with a higher level tech.

It really disgusts me when you buy a $1500+ product from a company and not only is their tech support not smart enough to answer your question but they aren't even smart enough or respectful enough to connect you to someone that can help you.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stand corrected. I meant that the Trav'ler would not "lock" on 72.7 and I stand by that statement until someone can prove me wrong. The link to the other forum explains how to manually stop the antenna when the 72.7 signal pops up on the receiver setup menu. This is certainly a workable option.
It could also be location sensitive as not a lot of people have ever tried this option but the poster at that other site was clearly within range and it still would not lock.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

I just don't believe that's going to happen since they can't get their Dish Trav'ler to lock onto 72.7 only.
I will be quite upset with Winegard if that is true since 2 of their supposed tech experts told me it can be done. I have wasted several hours trying it and a lot of wear and tear on the Travler spinning around looking for 72.

Here's an IRV2 thread in which the OP says he acquired sat 72.7 on a DISH Travler.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
az99 wrote:
I don't have an SK1000. I have an SK3005 and it has many more manual options.

Why would it be in the manual menu as a selectable option if it does not work?
Why don't the tech support people at Winegard know that?

I understand you have DirecTV antenna and you are working to receive the Dish programming. I just don't believe that's going to happen since they can't get their Dish Trav'ler to lock onto 72.7 only.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
az99 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Nimiq 5 at 72.7 is the correct satellite.
Can you manually select and receive it with your Travler?

I don't have a Trav'ler, I use a tripod mounted 1000.4 for the Dish eastern and western arc satellites.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an SK1000. I have an SK3005 and it has many more manual options.

Why would it be in the manual menu as a selectable option if it does not work?
Why don't the tech support people at Winegard know that?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter what you are told, here's what the users manual for the SK-1000 says:
In the Search menu, choose from
the following: Multi-Sat Mode
(normal search mode), Manual
110, Manual 119, Manual 129, Main
Menu (returns to the user menu)
or Exit (enters the search routine).
(Note: Manual 82 and 91 will be
options for Bell TV users.)

The Trav'ler is setup for WA only. I have heard that you can select 61.5 or 77 but neither of these provide the programming (nearly all) that's available on 72.7.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
It is in the software as an option and according to tech support it is supposed to.

It is the only fix Winegard has to see one of the Eastern Arc satellites. They told me it would not be profitable to have an EA option for Dish subscribers.

I am trying to test it before wasting my $ on a changeover from DirecTV to Dish parts. In most cases the WA sats are worthless in the NE unless you park in an open field. Dish does not even use them on new installs anymore.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Trav'ler will not lock to 72.7. I didn't think that option was even in the menu but I have not looked in awhile or maybe it was available in older software.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Excuse me for not understanding, You have a SK 3005 Traveler which is for Direct TV and you are trying to acquire the 72.7 satellite which is a DISH Network satellite. I don't think that is possible with out modification to your equipment ????
It does not matter in manual mode. It picks up 82 which is a Bell sat and 61 which is Dish.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Excuse me for not understanding, You have a SK 3005 Traveler which is for Direct TV and you are trying to acquire the 72.7 satellite which is a DISH Network satellite. I don't think that is possible with out modification to your equipment ????

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Can you manually select and receive it with your Travler?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate