cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I just empty water tanks instead of winterizing?

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Portland, where the average lows don't usually go below freezing, but you never know.

In regards to winterizing, can't I just empty the water heater tank and fresh water tanks and leave it at that? Why do I need to put antifreeze in it? Since it doesn't get too cold where I live, can I get away with doing this?

I've never winterized before, and I'd like to avoid doing it if possible.
32 REPLIES 32

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind ripping stuff apart to fix hoses or valves next spring, but...... It's not that hard to do, half hour once you have done it once on a given trailer.
You do not have to put in anti freeze, you can just apply air pressure to the 'city water' input (after draining the tanks and as much as possible from the low water drain points, assuming you have them) and then blow out the water from the lines by opening the facets or valves. You can buy a blowout adapter at RV stores etc to hook up the compressor or air tank, about 40 pounds max is what most people use.
I'm sure there is a good explanation somewhere on the forums of the details of how to do it.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
What type of RV do you have?

My experience is with Truck Campers (Lance and Outfitter), fairly cold winters down to the singe (Fahrenheit) digits.

The fresh water tank has a low point drain valve. Turn off water pump, open all faucets, open low point drain(s) and let out all the fresh water.
Empty the water heater (remove drain screw).
Empty the gray and black water tanks. Might be a good idea to flush them while you are at it.

No antifreeze here. Basically unheard of for winterizing RVs over here in Germany.

Worked for me without any problems through near 0F winters.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
juggledog wrote:
I live in Portland, where the average lows don't usually go below freezing, but you never know.

In regards to winterizing, can't I just empty the water heater tank and fresh water tanks and leave it at that? Why do I need to put antifreeze in it? Since it doesn't get too cold where I live, can I get away with doing this?

I've never winterized before, and I'd like to avoid doing it if possible.

Empty tanks won't be damaged, most damage occurs in small pipes, pumps etc.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.