cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator rating

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I have 1975 Terry 21' trailer and a 1998 Rockwood Ultra light.

How do I figure out the wattage of generator I need for them?
24 REPLIES 24

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you powering both trailers simultaneously or one at a time? If simultaneously, do both have air conditioners? Microwaves? Heating appliances such as hair dryers, water heaters, coffee makers, etc?

The generators discussed would not be sufficient for two trailers simultaneously unless one (or both) were fairly modest in their electrical needs. Something like the Honda 7000 watt inverter generator or the Yamaha 6300 watt inverter would be more appropriate in that case. They are neither lightweight nor inexpensive.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
3400 would be better.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
because it appears to be reliable and is 1/2 the cost of a Yamaha or Honda 2800 watt unit. I have the Yamaha and if I were replacing it I would go with the Champion.

Would 2800 watts be enough?

Once I know what wattage to go with, I will shop around.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
because it appears to be reliable and is 1/2 the cost of a Yamaha or Honda 2800 watt unit. I have the Yamaha and if I were replacing it I would go with the Champion.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I would get the Champion 3400 watt inverter generator with remote electric start.

Why that brand?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would get the Champion 3400 watt inverter generator with remote electric start.
Regards, Don

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Does the trailer have a 30 amp service?

Do you wish to run the microwave and the air conditioner at the same time?

I am not sure of the amp service. I will find that out when I can get at the trailer.

I would like to run both, as well as the radio and any other power I might have on.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Does the trailer have a 30 amp service?

Do you wish to run the microwave and the air conditioner at the same time?
Regards, Don

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Decide what you want to run. Then select a generator with 125 percent of the maximum.

Trailer panel is rated in amps. Generators are rated in watts. I want to run everything.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Decide what you want to run. Then select a generator with 125 percent of the maximum.
Regards, Don