cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Year Try

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
I'm debating on doing this for a year or so, but have not yet made a final decision. I could just go traveling for 3 months and stay in motels (would not have as much freedom, plus I want to travel for a full year).

Still cannot decide on MotorHome vs. 5th Wheel vs. Travel Trailer. I've read all the articles, I first started considering this about 6 months ago. I would be doing this solo, and I am a male approaching 40.

Basically, if I were to do this, I plan to buy something used, then resell it after I use it for one year. ere.

Few things I would like others input on:

1) A used MotorHome would seem to make the most sense because I already own a vehicle I can tow, but there is no way I want to spend $50,000 on a used one, because it seems like too much risk even though I would resell it. The risk I see in the MotorHome is if something catastrophic occurs to the structure, water damage, or whatever that the insurance will not pay. Then I am basically out the $35,000 to $50,000 all at once.

2) Now because of the "RISK" factor, a travel trailer makes more sense. The reason not a 5th wheel is because I can get a used Durango or something similar a lot cheaper than I can get a heavy duty truck.

3) Now the fifth wheel would be easier to drive, and safer to drive. The problem is the money to buy the truck.

4) I plan to stay in 8-10 places primarily, and I have already been all over the United States, so I am familiar with the roads.

Any thoughts?

Where should I start as far as buying and how much do I really need to spend to be comfortable?

I don't care about luxury, but I also don't want to live in a dump for a year. What I really want is something clean that does not leak, that is my primary concern.

Another nice thing would be LOW ASBESTOS, the ASBESTOS stuff does scare me about trailers.

How much is this really going to set me back?
81 REPLIES 81

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
When you mention vacation, are you talking about after the year long venture or during it?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
8mpg, not planning to take tow vehicle, going to store it. Yes I know that can damage it, but I will find someone to run it every 2-4 weeks, as well as ensure the fluids are there. I won't need a great expensive tow vehicle for the shorter trips I plan to take.

How I get there depends where it is, I know people in both NM and AZ that will give me a ride from the airport up to 250 miles each way, otherwise - from the airport to my land I can use a combo of bus/taxi to get there. I may take my Mazda sometimes, but generally I will fly and use the bus + taxi (it's cheaper), or another vehicle. Obviously will depend on how far away it is from the nearest serviceable city.

Just depends how long the vacation will be for and where I buy the land.

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
$1200 is a lot. How many miles will you be driving? What is your MPG estimate? Are you driving the tow vehicle from SE Texas to NM? How much will it cost to get you from SE Texas to NM without the trailer?

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
@SkiMore
It appears to average around 1% per year for most RURAL areas I believe, but it varies in every county. Property tax really isn't something to be that worried about on a sub-$10,000 purchase. Even 3% would only max out at $300 per year, compared to traditional storage costs, way way cheaper.

The land is pretty cheap, anywhere from $2000 to $5,000 if you are just looking for a plot of land without water. I don't know about storage restrictions on the very rural land or if insurance is extra since not in a storage unit (theft/fire/flood/wind), haven't gotten that far yet. You can get small plots even cheaper, as little as $500, but I didn't look at those yet. Most of the rural land has been creeping up in price slowly, so it's not a terrible investment if you find a good plot.

The round-trip gas cost from SE Texas to Central or NW New Mexico is about $1,200 per round trip, maybe more depending on gas prices at the time. However, gas spent is money burnt up, and a plot of land has some resale value if you can find a buyer. You've pretty much paid for the land in two trips, especially considering the wear and tear.

@Everyone else
Most people that are in RV's have children or spouses with them, I don't have the same complications, and I am not bothered by stuff as easily as a wife or kids. As noted earlier, I've been in the backwoods before without water, brought Walmart jugs with me and took a shower outside in a desert that way (very simple). You can just refill a few jugs for showering later at any of the water spots. The water evaporates in 5 minutes, and no-one ever complained.

The less you shower, the safer you are from wild animals ๐Ÿ™‚

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I only mentioned the mobile home because you said you were thinking of buying a plot of land to park it on and that you feel you need a big camper because you are claustrophobic. Trying to save you some money there as I thought that was the intention of you thinking of going this route versus staying in hotels. And also so the walls don't close in on you. Here's the fact. People don't rv because its cheap. It's not. Most full timers will tell you that their budget is pretty close to what it was in a stick and bricks home. At least that is what I have been reading from them. I can't attest to that yet, but from seeing posted budgets, it makes sense to me. The only way to make it cheaper is to go cheaper. Cheaper and smaller unit. Or unit in worse shape. No hookup camping. Which means you will have to figure out how to get simple things like electricity and water (yes you need water). You will need to be able to dump your tanks. Planning on taking showers? That water will add up. Most places will not allow you to just dump it on the ground. Electricity, well you will need to either set up a solar kit or get a generator. Going to need ac during the summer? Solar isn't going to do it unless you spend some big bucks for all the equipment you will need. You will need a big enough generator to run the ac and other things In the camper. If you need the ac running 24/7, then you can probably figure a couple of gallons of gas easily every day. Probably $8-10 worth every day(maybe less). Also, you will probably have to move around at least every two weeks because many government type facilities (low cost) require it. Which means more gas usage in that big truck that you will probably get around 8-10mpg towing your camper. Trying to live somewhere without hookups is going to require some work. You will need to constantly go get gas and water and go find a place to dump your tanks. You might be able to get it down to a science after a few months of just doing it once a week, but if you are out away from places to do that stuff, then you might as well plan on half a day at least getting that stuff taken care of. Not to include your laundry. And hopefully in all this, you will not have to have any repairs done. Hopefully the ac or heater won't go out on you our fridge. Oh yeah, if you will not be on hookups then you will need propane as well. Depending on the time of the year and what's running on propane, you will need to refill that as well. You will at least need a generator or solar to charge up your battery bank also. More cost there. I imagine you will need some sort of energy to work to run your equipment.

You can figure that from where you can save money in one area, that it will cost you money in another area (like gas). And while places that have hook ups cost more in the long run (maybe not always), having that creature comfort is often worth it and often saves you time and hassle.

At least you have the depreciation thing figured out and know its going to end up costing you at the end as well.

So, what was your conclusion as I must of missed it?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
This thread keeps getting more entertaining with each page.

So, how much does the property in NM cost? What about taxes? How much gas do you save on each trip leaving the trailer in NM and driving to it?

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
What are you talking about, if I were looking at specific issues on what to buy or what model, I would put more weight on people's advice in a forum (but even then you just have to consider what they say, you certainly don't blindly take advice from forums, or from anyone in life for that matter).

However, NO, I'm not going to make life decisions based on what a stranger tells me on a forum, such as buying a Manufactured Home (or Mobile as you call it), which is the absolute most ludicrous advice considering this is an RV forum and that should not even come into play. I am NOT trying to find a HOME to live in, I'm trying to travel part-time. A few posts in a forum certainly does not give you enough information to "guide" someone's exact decision making in this scenario.

I'm not "pissed" as you call it, but this useless info and useless debate just takes the entire forum off-track. I did consider peoples' advice and that is PARTLY how I came to my concluson. Get over it, really.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I think the O.P.'s just thinking out loud....if everybody that used the site to do that got taken to task for it, things would be mighty quiet around here.

The way I see it, the fact that his "plans" seem to change is really sort of a compliment to all concerned...he's obviously paying enough attention to what folks say to take it in, reconsider, and perhaps adjust his expectations.

Keep on dreamin', O.P.!

I really haven't seen him take any one's advice into consideration except maybe sticking with a TT or fiver. Other than that, he debunks what others advise to him and comes up with his own stuff and then changes it with more stuff.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I think the O.P.'s just thinking out loud....if everybody that used the site to do that got taken to task for it, things would be mighty quiet around here.

The way I see it, the fact that his "plans" seem to change is really sort of a compliment to all concerned...he's obviously paying enough attention to what folks say to take it in, reconsider, and perhaps adjust his expectations.

Keep on dreamin', O.P.!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
StukinTexas.....see how stupid it sounds? It's like the circle you have painted here in this thread. You go from one thing to another and saying you don't need things like water. But yet when people try to recommend things to you from their experiences, both in RVing and in life, you get pissed and think they are being "silly".

You need to first figure out exactly what you want without asking others what they think. Then you need to go and do it. After that, when you are finished, come back and share the great journey you went on. Then you will be prepared for the next person to come on here and start asking for advice but not like as it doesn't fit their already made up mind.

Good luck.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
@WBWOOD
Why don't you sell your RV and buy a tent, better yet sell your house and RV and buy a tent and a manufactured home...

Sell your cars and get a VW bug. Sell your soul, buy a guitar, and play the blues like we never heard them before.

Go stand in the AZ/NM desert and look for aliens, let us know how that goes...

This is the same type of advice you are giving me.

Where I buy the land will be VERY close to a state park with the NM pass utilized, will simply move it down the street and hang out there if I need to for virtually nothing, but still need the land to store it. That is why NM is perfect (or right on the other side of AZ border).

rbest23
Explorer
Explorer
I just breezed through this topic and wondered are there TT out there, both vintage and new that were built using asbestos? Has anyone heard or has knowledge of any TT having asbestos? I just purchased a 1973 Holiday Rambler and am concernced before i tear into it. I know this reply has nothing to do with the topic but after reading it i thought i should throw it out there. Thanks

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you want to live in a palace but not have running water. Why not just opt for a pop up or large tent. Will save you thousands of dollars and you won't lose so much when you go to sell it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
You should be able to find a good used diesel pusher for 20 to 30K. Mine is a 1993 with no slides. 250HP Cummins with Allison. It's a cross country machine! I have driven it coast to coast two different times w/o a single issue. I towed my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee the last coast to coast trip and avaraged about 10MPG. Get tired, Id pull into a rest area and get 4 - 5 hrs of sleep and then continue on.

Start from the bottom up on THIS link

Thanks for the helpful info. You are of the 50% of the people that understand the point of forums and are not living in outer space...

Yah been checking that site out now and then, interesting stuff...

I'm pretty much set on the 5th or a TT however (leaning towards 5th), because I've got a nice spot in NM lined up where I am in a fairly short driving range to many of the places I want to see (also looking in AZ though too). So feeling pretty comfortable with towing shorter distances than originally planned.