cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opionions on buying a trailer that has sat on lot since '06

ABFam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, our family has just sold our '97 Jayco and we are looking at buying a trailer with quad bunks/bunk house with one slide. We want to keep it under 6600lbs as we do quite a bit of hauling, some into BC over the mountains with our 2013 F150.

We found exactly what we are looking for (2006 30" Puma) at a really great price our only hesitation is that it is a 2006 travel trailer that was driven from the lot new to the campsite and has not moved since. Any knowledgable RV guys/gals out there that can give us any advice on this scenario as it has not moved in quite a few years?

Here is all of the info the owner has provided so far:
-Rubber roof never a leak.
-Everything works great.
-Hauled from dealer to campground thats it.
-One jack is bent a little but there cheap
-6600 gvw is 9600 bumper weight is 800lbs
-100% tread on tires but two that i can see do have some sidewall cracks from the weather.
-Selling cause kids are all grown up and dont need the bunks.
-It's been there since the dealership.
-I'am the only owner since new
16 REPLIES 16

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd replace the tires before moving it or at least, take it immediately for tires after getting it. No highways and slow speeds. I moved a camper for my sister that was incredibly old from my aunt who had it + bought it on a seasonal site, so it hadn't been moved in a loooooooooooooong time. When I got there, I topped up the tires with air and planned a route that had a maximum speed of 40mph. Pulled it about 35 miles and was stressed the whole way. I swear I could have pushed my thumb through one of the tire sidewalls. In the end, we got it to its destination and they immediately had the tires replaced.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tires are shot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman