cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much can we tow with SUV?

Sunnygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a travel trailer to pull with an SUV. Tow vehicle is a 2019 Yukon Denali 4x4 with a tow rating of 8100 lbs. and a payload of 7300. It seems like the latter will be the limiting factor. Maybe 1500 lbs. left after subtracting curb weight. 2 adults, 4 young kids and a dog will ride in the car (<500 pounds now but growing each year - the kids, hopefully not the adults!). Wheelbase is 116 inches. I'm thinking a 5000 lb. trailer is the absolute max - not sure about length. We like the Rockwood Mini Lite bunkhouse/Murphy bed floorplan, but think it might be too much.

Thoughts as to what the tow vehicle can handle or suggestions for family friendly trailers we should look at? We have a Hensley hitch from 18 years ago. (We've moved to a MH; this is for kids/grandkids).

Thank you!
15 REPLIES 15

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
The formula I have seen for wheelbase is 20 feet of trailer for 110" wheelbase, with an additional 1 foot of trailer for every extra 4" of wheelbase. From your post I would say 21 or 22 feet of trailer. I'm not an expert on hitches, but an 18 year old hitch may not be safe. Contact the manufacturer and ask them or see if they will recommend a service/upgrade.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B