cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Trailer and Truck

ggates
Explorer
Explorer
I currently pull a TT (<10k) with a 08 Ford Superduty (SRW). We are looking at switching to a new trailer (5ver) and likely a new truck. We are considering a Grand Design (Solitude 344gk). It maxes at around 16k lbs. We really love the new 2020 GMCs. I also intend to put a fuel tank in the bed (1000 lbs) and a heavy hitch (Hensley).

My dilemma is SRW vs DRW. I really prefer a SRW (size, parking, etc.), but don't want to make a mistake and have to replace the truck in 2 years. I live in NM, so altitude and mountains are a real effect, but we want to use it to travel the country as I retire.

Any real world advice/experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
This one is pretty obvious with 1000 lb fuel tank, plus heavy hitch. Yup, OP already knows answer to question.

Jerry

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't even consider an srw with that kind of weight. I towed a 14,000# goose neck shop trailer with one (not my choice), it was not fun or legal.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
For a trailer that big I would for sure get a DRW truck.

With a trailer that big you're in the big boy club now. Get a tool which fits the job which IMHO is a LB DRW truck.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln