cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinforcing frame extensions for additional 300lbs towing.

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of purchasing a 2003 Monaco (McKenzie) Rogue 20' RV with two slides and the Ford V10 E450 chasis. The hitch is rated for 3500lbs. We want to tow our 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid which is spec'd at 3800lbs. I know the Ford engine can pull the 5000lbs, but I am unsure about the chasis and hitch. On the Class C forum, someone suggested reinforcing the frame extensions to get the additional towing margin. Are there some guidelines on how to do this? If I go to a weld shop, would they know how to get this done?
Also, would I need to replace the current hitch, rated at 3500lbs with a 5000lb hitch?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any good welding shop will know what to do once they crawl under. On that short a MH the frame may not need anything. Since you are not putting any weight on the hitch a V brace from the frame to the center of your current hitch is all that's needed to increase it for towing 3800lbs.
What are you going to do for brakes on your car?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...