cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

volunteer for Florida state park

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
we're new to this forum..so no pictures posted of the rig..we have volunteered for a state park in northern Florida ..4 winter months 2014/2015 season.
we've never done this before and any helpful hints or advice would be great.
we're in our early 60's..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...
20 REPLIES 20

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
vegasken34 wrote:
We volunteered in several Florida parks for a few years & found that they are all different. But each one was a great experience with great people. If you go in with a good attitude, it will be a good experience. Enjoy it. You only live once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's right...only one go around..yeah...we got em...good attitudes..
thanx for encouragement..
we're lookin @ all the residency stuff for Florida now..

vegasken34
Explorer
Explorer
We volunteered in several Florida parks for a few years & found that they are all different. But each one was a great experience with great people. If you go in with a good attitude, it will be a good experience. Enjoy it. You only live once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
thanx....ill be cleaning cabins...hubbys on maintenance...we'll do a great job.
Ole Man Dan wrote:
My wife and I evaluate every park we visit by cleanness of the bath houses, and by any trash around the camp sites.
The better State Parks run a tight ship...

I talked with a Camp Host and the guys running the Store at Topsail Hill's State Park, and they were all pretty much squared away.

Every camp site at THSP was inspected and the Picnic Tables aligned before they called to let them know the site was ready for occupancy.The 'Little Things' set them apart from a few other State Parks.

Hope you enjoy being a Camp Host. I've met lots of good ones over the years. I've noticed the same Host at many camp grounds over the years.They must be doing something right. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I evaluate every park we visit by cleanness of the bath houses, and by any trash around the camp sites.
The better State Parks run a tight ship...

I talked with a Camp Host and the guys running the Store at Topsail Hill's State Park, and they were all pretty much squared away.

Every camp site at THSP was inspected and the Picnic Tables aligned before they called to let them know the site was ready for occupancy.The 'Little Things' set them apart from a few other State Parks.

Hope you enjoy being a Camp Host. I've met lots of good ones over the years. I've noticed the same Host at many camp grounds over the years.They must be doing something right. ๐Ÿ™‚

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
jw of 4 corners wrote:
When you get some time off and want a great meal, be sure to check out the "Dixie Grille"

in live oak..?..sure will.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
bigwheelsturning wrote:
we're new to this forum..so no pictures posted of the rig..we have volunteered for a state park in northern Florida ..4 winter months 2014/2015 season.
we've never done this before and any helpful hints or advice would be great.
we're in our early 60's..

Our first winter volunteer position 2010-11 was at Mike Roess Gold Head Branch SP Keystone Heights, FL. Couldn't have had a better experience the staff and other vols made an enjoyable season. We stay in contact with many of them.
We make it a point to stop at FL SP's whenever possible, Suwannee was one we day tripped to while at Gold Head, very nice smaller park.
As far as weather, it varies year to year so just take it as it comes. We had some freezing nights but never saw a day that didn't warm up to reasonable temps.
Have fun.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
jw of 4 corners wrote:
When you get some time off and want a great meal, be sure to check out the "Dixie Grille"

BTDT
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
reubenray wrote:
Is there a listing showing what volunteer positions are available for the Florida State Park?

As far as I know there is not such a site. We applied directly to the state and they sent our application to parks that anticipated an opening.

Once you work a few times, and have a decent reference at a state park, it is easy to e-mail the park that you want to serve in.

Just be patient. Campground hosts, that serve in the winter are sometimes booked a year in advance. It is common to be booked 7-8 months in advance. The volunteer coordinator get literally, hundreds of applications for a few openings.

The important thing, we found, is to serve at most any park that offers you hosting position to you just to "get your foot" in the door. Good luck and happy camping.

Here is a link to the Florida State Park Website: Volunteer
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a listing showing what volunteer positions are available for the Florida State Park?
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
definitely no offence taken as this is the information i am seeking. my husband and i are very good workers and are pleased to hear that our age is considered. thanks again.
Dog Folks wrote:
All Florida parks are busy in the winter and Suwanee is no exception.
But its is smaller and quieter than most.

Cleaning cabins harder work than regular campground hosting. Very much like being a maid in a hotel. But it will get your foot in the door for next year and other duties if you want.

With 5 cabins you probably will end up sharing duties with another person/couple, depending upon their individual park staffing levels.

The rangers understand you age, no offense meant, and just expect a reasonable effort from you. None of us can work like when we were 20 and they don't expect that.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
All Florida parks are busy in the winter and Suwanee is no exception.
But its is smaller and quieter than most.

Cleaning cabins harder work than regular campground hosting. Very much like being a maid in a hotel. But it will get your foot in the door for next year and other duties if you want.

With 5 cabins you probably will end up sharing duties with another person/couple, depending upon their individual park staffing levels.

The rangers understand you age, no offense meant, and just expect a reasonable effort from you. None of us can work like when we were 20 and they don't expect that.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
thank you....as i am on an swypy phone...i don't know how this quoting thing will turn out....i will be doing the cabins there ...& hubbys on maintenance...we will give it our best..
Dog Folks wrote:
From a Florida camp host: Congratulations. Campground hosting is great fun and very satisfying.

98% of the campers are great people. Don't let that 2% that give you heartburn, spoil your experience. The 2% are present in all areas of life.

In general, Florida rangers really appreciate your help.

If you are "trained" by other hosts, and something just does not seem right, ask your volunteer coordinator about it, privately. Misinformation sometimes is just passed on down from host to host.

We have always tried to find something "extra" we could do around the campground that others do not do. (Extra raking, etc) Your boss will like that. Just don't go outside of your job description without permission.

The best advice? Given to us by a ranger years ago: Most people, especially women, will judge the entire campground and their experience, by how clean the bathrooms are. Keep them picked up and the fixtures shiny and you cannot go wrong.

Try to stay visible in the campground. The campers then know that "someone is watching" and are much better behaved. For example, where we now host, one general round of the campground is required during the day. We make four. Morning,around noon,mid afternoon, and evening. (We also check the bathrooms then.)

Good luck. Remember, every park and the exact duties required can vary widely. So if this one is not "your cup of tea," learn from it and find another.

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
A really nice park.

Keep in mind that it may not be as warm as you expect. Much better than the Carolinas, but this year they DID have snow flurries.

yes..we picked that area to hopefully be missing the more crowfed parks during winter.
since we've never volunteered..we're not sure of the amount of work and maybe start out slower.
we're camped here in SC now for work..experienced an ice storm that knocked out our power for 5 days.
right now it's highs of 39ยฐ'...