Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD Hitch effect on TW ratio

DadoPax
Explorer
Explorer
Lets run an example using easy #'s.

My trailer weights 1000lbs
My hitch weight is 100 lbs, or 10% of the overall trailer weight.
I put my trailer on a weight carrying hitch, 100lbs is carried by the hitch and 900 by the axles. The trailer goes down the road like it has a 10% tongue weight.

Introduce the weight distributing hitch...
Trailer hitch weight is still 100lbs but...
lets say the WDH distributes 50lbs to the rear axle of the trailer

HERE IS THE QUESTION...

Does the trailer still tow like it has 10% TW?
Or does it now tow LIKE it has 5% tongue weight because 950lbs is on the trailer axles and only 50lbs is on the tongue?

Thanks guys
17 REPLIES 17

DadoPax
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
In an ideal environment, Weight Distribution hitches will take that 100 pounds and put 33 pounds on the front axle of the tow vehicle, 33 pounds on the rear axle of the tow vehicle, and 33 pounds on the axles of the trailer.

This creates proper steering control of the tow vehicle, forcing weight on the front axle, and reduces weight on the rear axle, keeping the rear axle from bottoming out, or breaking something.

If the weight distribution is not set up correctly, that 100 pounds can be distributed uneven.... instead of 33-33-33, it could be 10-80-10, or it could be 40-20-40 (illustrating extremes here). Properly set up, the weight is distributed "evenly" across both vehicles and all axles.

Hope this helps.

This does not help, but thank you. I don't think you understood the question.

This question is not how does a WDH work, or what percentages are distributed. It's about whether it has an effect on the ratio of weight on axles to weight on tongue.

The answer is either 10% or 5%... I think...

Bedlam
You also have consider the distance from the hitch to the trailer front axle and from the hitch to the tow vehicle rear axle will most likely be different. If you take 50 percent of the tongue weight off the vehicle rear axle, that 50 percent may be distributed differently to the remaining axles based the difference in length. Although you figure this out mathematically, it is easier to find closed weigh station where the scale is still operating and try different WDH hitch settings and their effects on your combination.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In an ideal environment, Weight Distribution hitches will take that 100 pounds and put 33 pounds on the front axle of the tow vehicle, 33 pounds on the rear axle of the tow vehicle, and 33 pounds on the axles of the trailer.

This creates proper steering control of the tow vehicle, forcing weight on the front axle, and reduces weight on the rear axle, keeping the rear axle from bottoming out, or breaking something.

If the weight distribution is not set up correctly, that 100 pounds can be distributed uneven.... instead of 33-33-33, it could be 10-80-10, or it could be 40-20-40 (illustrating extremes here). Properly set up, the weight is distributed "evenly" across both vehicles and all axles.

Hope this helps.