cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog DNA Testing

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
My trade magazine has published a journalistic review of three Dog DNA tests. You may find this video report helpful and interesting.

C&EN tested one dogโ€™s genetics and got weird results
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
15 REPLIES 15

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's how Bat-dog is. Her nose is in charge. Yes, she's part beagle. But she's also part chow and that adds an overabundance of stubbornness to her.

A friend found out the hard way that dogs hold grudges (a scientific study recently showed this). When she first met Bat-dog, Bat-dog barked at her. So she barked back - it was not acceptable behavior. Bat-dog held that grudge for over 5 years. It took a LOT of back scratching for Bat-dog to forgive her.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

einy
Explorer
Explorer
I always wondered why my Charlie, who was listed as a terrier on the rescue website, was so laid back and gentle.

......it's because he's a Beagle.....

Knowing he's a Beagle also explains why he has terrible recall outdoors (he's amazing inside) and will never be left off leash. When his nose is "on" his ears automatically turn "off"

:B :R

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found it a great tool for Bat-dog and her people issues. I adapted my way of dealing with her to account for her breed personality. It has helped simplify things. It also explains her magnificent nose that can smell out chocolate for miles (if chocolate ever becomes illegal, she'd be the most successful drug sniffer dog in history).

It also explains why, even though Moose-dog is a shepherd, he does not have that one person dedication. I always say it's his Canadian side, he just doesn't know how not to be nice (he's part Newfie).

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
One place where knowing the breed makeup of a mix is knowing the risks of what genetic diseases may be present.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

einy
Explorer
Explorer
"It's like a box of chocolates"

Both or our furballs are rescued. Although knowing there breed does help me understand behaviors, I have to admit it was out of pure curiosity that I had their DNA tests done.

This is our Charlie.....

Here's his DNA report......

Here's our Peanut.....

Peanut's DNA report ....

I know it's silly, but I had fun !!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
That was an interesting video. I can see where DNA testing might help if you have a dog that resembles a pitbull (and the restrictions that are sometimes pointed towards that "breed") and you can prove via DNA that it isn't (like my son's former Catahoula). On the other hand, there's a plethora of dogs out there who's build screams "pitbull" - but the rescue has dubbed them some mythical cross between rare breeds (rolling my eyes)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Didn't need any DNA test for our Bliss. She was 90 percent German Shepard and 10 percent Lover dog. She loved us and any food we gave her. ๐Ÿ™‚

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t care about these dna tests; however, these dog dna commercial ventures are using gene chips. These gene chips are manufactured by the same companies that make chips used in health research. The increasing sales of these chips helps to drive down the costs of the chips and drives innovation in the gene chips. In the video the geneticist talked about how these tests are like little windows along the genome; the more windows the more we know about that dogโ€™s genes. In past studies on our breed we have run up against the issue that the state of the art gene chips did not have windows showing where the genes were different between dogs affected with a genetically linked disease and healthy dogs.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We love all our rescues, they love us and we really do not care about their pedigree and would never even consider getting rid of them if the are not full pedigreed
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tyler0215 wrote:
Really! Dog DNA test? I saw something on the internet about this and thought it was a joke.

Welcome to 2019.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Really! Dog DNA test? I saw something on the internet about this and thought it was a joke.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
We have a Morkie, Yorker Maltese mix.

We multiple friends with Yorkers

I am very familiar the facial ticks, head tilts, working the ears that Yorkies exhibit.

My BIL has a pound dog that looks, acts and colored like a Yorker mix, itโ€™s a terrier through and through.

They did the DNA test and it came back 30% Chihuahua the rest mixed breed.

Iโ€™m sure most small dogs have some chichi in them but I think this test missed the mark.

That doesn't sound like a good testing. They should be able to come back with other breeds and not "mixed breeds". Because they didn't, it may be that while 30 percent is chi, the other 70 percent has at least least one terrier breed in it.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting. I did dnamydog on Moose-dog and Bat-dog and was pleased with the results.

In the video they mention the number of breeds in the various databases. I do remember looking at that. Per dnamydog, they don't test for the uncommon breeds because the odds of a mixed breed containing a breed like the Lundehund is very minimal. Instead, they test for the common breeds that are most likely to be in a mixed breed. That makes sense to me, so I didn't worry.

I had posted my results before. They were both on the mark as far as I am concerned. One thing I know people tend to forget is that not all the included breeds will show up in appearance, but may be noticeable in behaviors or personality.

As for consistency, I did my own dna through 23andme and ancestry. They came back pretty different. Ancestry puts me at 96 percent United Kingdom and French. 23andme has Portuguese, Italian, etc., in there. As my Mom did geneology, I know that the 23andme results account for a far more accurate representation of my dna makeup.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some local politicians with too little to do have suggested DNA testing for dogs so they can match deposits and fine the owners.