cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,045 REPLIES 2,045

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
It's great to hear that you're finally feeling better. Spot and Alex sound adorable, separately and together. I love reading about the natural beauty and critters you have surrounded yourself with.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
I wore out very early last night and went to bed a couple hours early. Just as I was drifting off, Spot lay down with his head and front paws on my chest, the rest of him curled in the crook of my arm. I woke up with Alex there and Spot on his tree. Switching kitties...

Feeling much better today. We've spent most of it watching the rain and reveling in the thought that we might have a decent crop of wildflowers this year. Around the area, the bluebonnets are already blooming, our agaritas are about to burst into yellow blossoms, and one hummingbird is already nagging us about the state of the feeder--seems no matter how much we put in it, he/she thinks it needs more and stares in the window to get our attention.

We're part of the Texas hummingbird survey, so I've been trying to get a decent photo of this lone hummingbird, but nooooo, he/she is much too fast. Might need a better camera with a more substantive zoom lens.

Mama Doe and Spook just turned up at the south porch, so I tossed out a few banana peels. Spook got the big peel right out from under Mama's nose. They both like the sweets.

Spot has begun chatting to Alex, mostly greetings and "play with me" sounds. Alex isn't responding well, though, being Mr. Crankypants in his old age. He's been jumping up on stuff as a safe place, but yesterday Spot would chase him, then run past and jump up on what Alex was aiming for. It was funny to watch.

Kitty dinner time. Later, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Last night I was alternately shivering, then sweating, and could not find a comfortable position. Decided I'd rather sweat than shiver and added a fleece blanket to my side. Shortly after that, I warmed up with Alex up against my back and Spot between my legs. Finally got some sleep. When I woke up, Spot was laying partly on my chest and partly by my side. What a sweet big guy. As long as I don't feel good, he's right there.

It's a cold, rainy day. We're happy to have the rain (ok, my sinuses are definitely not), but didn't like having to turn the heater back on.

No deer or bird sign: they're all hunkered down somewhere.

Time for a good fire, probably the last one for the season.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Today was my first day without pain meds since the surgery. I slept a lot. The weather might have helped, too, being cloudy and humid. But Spot, Alex and I spent a good few hours sitting on the north porch, them sleeping and me reading, until a cold front arrived rather suddenly.

We had to turn the heater back on, and it's gonna be quite nippy the next couple of days. I expect both cats will argue over who sits in my lap.

The deer are still running about all nervous about something, but we honestly haven't seen or heard anything out of the ordinary. Guess it will remain a mystery to the humans.

Woke up to barn swallow conversation, and it should become quite lively in a few more days. I did miss them, even if they do make a mess on the porch -- well, that's what water hoses and pressure washers are for.

It's late, I'm still groggy, so time to turn in. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Been a bit misty today, with a thunderstorm forecast for later. I guess that could be why both cats have been spooked over pretty much everything all day. Right after noon, Spot joined me in the recliner and was stretched out all over me. The UPS truck drove up, he went on alert, and has been going from window to window, outside and back inside, on patrol ever since. He's either going to sleep really well tonight, or we're gonna have a big storm.

Saw two hummingbirds at the feeder so far. Must be the advance party, making sure we do have the feeder up.

Bought some creeping rosemary, the kind that drapes itself down rocks. We'll plant it among the rocks on one of our slopes, where it will do very nicely, and I'll have fresh rosemary for cooking year round. The deer are none too fond of it, so the plants should survive.

WLToo signed up for a local fitness center today; I'll get added when I get medical clearance to lift weights again. It will be a good reason to go into the village and interact with people, not to mention strengthen our bones and muscles. We might even start looking less like the Pillsbury doughboy by this fall.

We got a drum stool (used by trap drummers), so looking through the telescope won't involve stooping over so much. When it's not used for that, it will be a good stool for playing my hammered dulcimer.

Just heard a thud -- seems a starling smacked into the window. Gotta close the door so it can recover without becoming cat food. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Another glorious day in paradise. We have a barn swallow cleaning out one of the nests. Woo Hoo!!

Ruby throated hummingbirds were spotted on the coast on Sunday, so we have the feeder out now.

Definitely spring -- the neighbor just downhill is mowing like mad. Guess they don't like having wildflowers blooming in their acreage. We won't be mowing for a long, long time -- not until the wildflowers have dropped their seeds.

I slept in bed last night, at last. Spot laid between my feet for a short while, then moved back to his tree. He only hangs about that closely when I'm feeling bad, and now that I'm better, he's not quite so affectionate. Still a sweet guy.

Must haul the kitchen scraps out to the "compost" pile--not that a single scrap has ever been there long enough to compost.... Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We saw a barn swallow!!! The advance party appears to be arriving now. We should see the regulars arrive within a week or so.

Alex came in with a grass burr, so we have to get the sedgeweed killer out. Unfortunately, we have to keep the cats inside until it dries, and can't spray it in windy conditions, so today's not a good day for spraying. We'll probably never get the grass burrs totally under control, but the fewer the better, so this spray is an important component of our yard care.

Solo was grazing by the house this morning, when I came out to use the remote to open the gate. He started to run, then realized it was me, and started toward me as though he was expecting a handout. But then he stopped - just couldn't bring himself to walk right up like Mama Doe sometimes does. That was fine, since I didn't have a handout.

Spot has spent the last few nights sleeping on my chest. I tried the bed on Friday night, but after only a few hours, had to go back to the recliner. While there, Spot laid between my feet (he so very rarely gets onto the bed, I was surprised to find him there when I woke up). As soon as I got comfy in the recliner, Spot stretched out on my chest, a pillow, and my stomach. He stayed on me most of each night. Then this morning, he climbed on me just because...

At one point yesterday, he was on my chest and arm, and laying partly on Alex, who was fast asleep on my lap. Yep, I'm da kitty pillow...

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Beautiful morning, supposed to get up to 81 today. Birds are singing like mad.

When we opened the door, Spot stepped out and got into a porch chair. About ten minutes later, Alex poked his head out the door, and Spot chirped at him, in an unmistakable invitation to come out and enjoy the day. But no, Alex had to come back inside and eat the remainder of Spot's breakfast. And all was peaceful again.

Later, Spot was asleep in his favorite porch chair, when we heard the unmistakeable sounds of kitty screaming. Oh, great. Alex thinks he's a tough guy, right up to the point that the bigger kitty decides to give him a good thumping. Luckily, both humans got outside in time to see Alex whirl on Spot, who had responded much faster than the humans and had already chased Black Kitty away. Spot didn't respond to Alex' challenge, but simply strolled back and got into his chair.

Alex stayed all poofed up and stalked back to the house, as though he'd been the one to chase off Black Kitty. He's fast asleep next to Rodney now.

Alex is a sweet cat to all humans, but a poser to other cats. He's all scream and no fight. Spot's not a screamer, but an authentic watch cat. I'm sure he'd be rolling his eyes at Alex if he could.

The meds are knocking me out again. Think I'll doze on the porch. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Last night, Spot joined me in the recliner. He spent the whole night oozing from one side of my chest/stomach to the other and back, purring occasionally. He could do this thanks to the pillows I stuff on either side of me to pad me from the wooden arms. Makes for a good kitty support, too. He got off for breakfast, and I went back to sleep. When I woke up about 0900, he was fast asleep on top of me again.

I wonder if he'll try it when I'm able to sleep in the bed again. That would not be so comfy, without those bolstering pillows.

It's another foggy, moist day, getting into the 70s again. We keep the door open on such days, allowing Alex and Spot to wander in and out. After Spot's patrol, he prefers to sleep and watch from a favorite porch chair, while Alex sleeps on the porch love seat. Their lives are soooo difficult...

Bird song everywhere today. Between the fog damping extraneous sounds and the birds, it's beyond relaxing. 'Course, the pain meds help put me in that zen zone, too.

I got my first query to do some proofreading and editing yesterday. Cool. If he does contract with me, I'll finally make my compulsion to proof/edit pay a little. Proofing and editing WLToo's books are fun, but don't exactly produce income.

Until then, I'll just go back to the novel I was enjoying. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
The fog was quite thick when I went to sleep last night. Woke up about 0400, and the fog was so thick I could not see past either porch. Not even the fraidy lights around the area were visible. Woke up about 0800 and the fog was still so thick that we only had about 830 feet of visibility (could just barely see the gate down by the road). The fog stayed put, even though a goodly breeze was blowing.

Fog didn't even begin to dissipate until about 1030, and even now there's still quite a bit left. Warm breeze called Spot outside, so he's currently on patrol.

Han, Spooky and Solo just grazed past the house, without Mama Doe in attendance. Solo looked in, just like Mama, looking for a handout. The twins don't look -- they just don't understand the drill. That's fine, don't need bucks walking up on the porch and looking in.

Things are greening up nicely. One of the native shrubs is ready to burst into yellow blooms, and the Mexican hat is sending up shoots. If we keep getting rain this spring, should be a nice wildflower and shrub display.

Well, both cats are outside enjoying the warmth, so we'll eat lunch without their company. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so glad to hear that you're home and feeling better. When my husband was recovering from successful cancer treatment, I knew he was feeling better when our dogs became unglued from his side. Pets are the best healing aide, IMHO.
Hope you see the barn swallows soon.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
What with the pain meds and not being real comfortable anywhere except in a couple of chairs, I've been a little "out of it" the last few days. However, I'm obviously getting better, since both cats have stopped hovering over me.

It's been an overcast day, with occasional showers and flying cat hair. Mama Doe is inside our property, very preggers, but the three fawns are pacing her just on the other side of the fence. I tossed some limp celery over the fence, and Solo trotted right up. The twins ran away, so he got it all.

My recliner is getting more and more comfortable for sleeping, as I figure out the best positions. Alex tried to wake me up this morning by jumping right in the middle of my stomach. Luckily, that's not where the incision is, so all he succeeded in doing was wake me up for about five seconds and stop my snoring. I finally woke up about 1000, just about the time he would have jumped on me again so I could get his morning treats.

Spot went leaping after a flying insect about lunchtime. Guess that's a sign that the barn swallows aren't far behind. I hope so; miss 'em.

Well, I'm falling asleep again, so it's nap time. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear you are home!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

dhansen871
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that everything went as good as expected. Glad you are getting that kitty support for your well being. they will help you get better in their only way they know....KITTY LOVE..
Dave & DW Jodi
Max the Cat (RIP)
SoCal Mountains and Las Vegas

2007 Country Coach 430 Allure
2012 Jeep GC Overland

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Surgery went fine, I got home yesterday. Luckily, the incision site is below my belly fat bulge, so it's actually protected from heavy kitty feet. Alex is laying on my lap right now, and it's not bothering me at all.

Spot was just as happy to see me as Alex. Spot planted himself on the chair side table and laid his head and front paws on my chest, while kneading biscuits and purring louder than he's ever purred. I still have the pinpricks from that kneading...

Couldn't lay down in the bed, so I slept last night in my recliner. Not the most comfortable rest, but at least I could breathe. Spot joined me, settling between my feet on the recliner foot. He stayed there for over four hours, when I had to get up. He's still coming back to check on me. What a sweetie.

WLToo's awake, time to change bandages. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat