cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV'ing with a cat

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As we continue our plans to full time next year we are scratching our heads on how/if we can travel with our Cat. He's an awesome dude, part Bengal, very smart and acts more like a dog than a cat. In trips to the vet he's always very quiet and seems to acclimate very quickly to riding in the car - always in a cat carrier however. We are wondering how he will do in an RV. Has anyone ever acclimated a cat to RV travelling? What accommodations do you make for a litter box? How do you keep your cats from getting outside (most cats that run aren't recovered unless they have been stable in an area for about 2 weeks). I remember watching the Wynns and they always lets their cats run free and they always came back. That's not something we are prepared to risk. Still trying to figure it all out.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
24 REPLIES 24

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Our first cat loved traveling in the motorhome. That's one of the reasons we like RVs, we can take our pet with us instead of leaving them at home or at a kennel. In the motorhome, we put the litter box in the shower and moved it out when we needed the shower. Not ideal, but it worked. We didn't keep a carrier or anything, just let her run around the RV like she owned it.

Our current cat doesn't much care for traveling. With the trailer, we do keep him in a large carrier in the back seat of the truck while on the road. We have a pass through cat door into the outside compartment for his litter box. Once we get the trailer set up, we just let him loose in the trailer. He's usually OK with being in the trailer and doesn't try to get out. In fact, when we went to get him to put him in the carrier for our trip home from Thanksgiving, he really wanted to stay in the trailer rather than get in the carrier to go home.

We ordered a large carrier for the truck, its probably 3' x 4'. Maybe too big?
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just started taking The Cat camping this summer. The Cat in Training is about to make his first trip.

Here are my procedures:

1. Determine how your cat prefers to travel in the car. Some are happier in a carrier and not seeing out. Others prefer to be able to see and move around. Both mine are the latter.

2. If my cats leave the house, they have their harnesses on. They are either in a carrier OR on a leash when outside. I WILL NOT leave my cats behind if something happens, so I do everything I can to prevent anything happening.

3. I have engraved ID Tags on each harness. The tag includes the cat's name, my cell phone number, and the plate number for both the trailer and tow vehicle. This allows someone to find me at the campground even if there is no cell service.

4. I always keep a copy of my pets rabies certs in the trailer and in the vehicle. Whether my pet bites or scratches, or gets bit or scratched, that paperwork can save a lot of trouble and expense.

5. During the drive, I don't put water and food out. Whenever we stop, I immediately put out food and water for them. I keep the catbox in the trailer as my cats will wait until we stop driving to potty.

6. I have dry food available all the time at camp and home. Twice a day, they get canned food. This gets them to respond to the sound of the can opening. I also routinely call them to me by name and they will respond. This provides a better chance of getting them back if they out loose.

There are different types of harnesses out there. I had tried one of the wider padded harnesses on The Cat first and it was awkward for him. It kept getting pushed up into his head. The nylon thin H harnesses work really well. Make sure to get one with individually adjustable neck and body straps. For leashes, I find the 4ft ones that come with the harnesses to be a bit short. So I got the 5ft ones from Yellow Dog Design. They are a great length for us.

At the campsite, I use a 15ft braided nylon tether. I attach one end to the harness and the other to an eywbolt in the trailer. This allows The Cat to come in and out of the trailer while I sit under the awning. He really likes that "freedom". TCIT will have his own tether. Under no circumstances will I let them outside without me right there or without the tether or leash.

You can get more info here or here.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Leash.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Prior cat loved the MH. When she saw the door open she would meow until we let her out and then she ran into the MH.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

vickiebec
Explorer
Explorer
Started my 12 year old cat in our new motorhome. He loved laying on the dash watching people. While traveling he stayed in a carrier behind the passenger seat. We kept his litter box in the bedroom. We just made sure the door was closed as soon as we opened it. Trained him to a lease at the same time.
Vickie Wallis
Roseville, CA
2010 Mini Cooper Convertable

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cats first training in a car for a month wherever we went. No cage had to be careful about getting on/under driver but they learn. After that MH travel no problem. Always had a collar and then harness full time. 6' red leash while driving so we know where they are. Water and food in the front area, litter box in the closet with door propped open, shower an option.

We're careful about them getting out of the MH. It happens and we have the option to leave the red leash on. Use a rope sometimes and they always wrap around something.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why jump the cat from a stick built home to full time RVing? Try camping with your cat for a long weekend. See how it goes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
cavie wrote:
We drive from Fl to MA where our trailer is every summer. 3 day trip. The cat free rains in the back seat of our pickup. Food on the floor on one side and litter box on the other. We stop in motels. Our cat is leach trained and NEVER runs free. I does break the rules from time to time but doesn't go far from the food bowl.Food in on the floor in the kitchen and litter is in the BH. He is tied to a tree during the day and NEVER goes out at night. I walk him around the park.

We tried a collar on him once and he would have no parts of it. I fear he would almost hurt himself trying to remove it. I've seen harnesses that might be worth a try. He's very headstrong but he has calmed down quite a bit in recent months and now can't stand not being near one of us. He demands being picked up and has gotten pretty adamant about sitting on DW's lap, which I am told Bengals rarely ever do. He's very attached to us. Come running to the door when we come home like a dog.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I've been travelling with my 10 yo female Zia for 3 years.

She rides in the 5er's walk-in bedroom closet where she has nice comfy blankets and plenty of room. Litter box nearby with food and water. I've tried her in a carrier in the truck but she hates that - she just howls. As far as I know in the 5er she just goes to sleep and never makes a peep. When we get to our destination her eyes always reveal she's been sleeping.

I don't keep her from getting outside; cats are curious creatures and I encourage that. We go for walks, no leash, and she stays pretty close to me. It took almost 2 years for me to really get comfortable with that. Sometimes she hides and really doesn't want to be found, but that's just how she is. I got used to it. She always comes home.

She knows when predators are around. She knows what coyote scat looks like. If I find that we're off to find a safer place. She's a smart little girl and having her as a travelling companion is wonderful.

I can't say all cats are this adaptable, or their owners, but that's how we roll.

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
We drive from Fl to MA where our trailer is every summer. 3 day trip. The cat free rains in the back seat of our pickup. Food on the floor on one side and litter box on the other. We stop in motels. Our cat is leach trained and NEVER runs free. He does break the rules from time to time but doesn't go far from the food bowl.Food in on the floor in the kitchen and litter is in the BH. He is tied to a tree during the day and NEVER goes out at night. I walk him around the park.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.