cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

110v and 220v

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to make my FW able to be used with both 110V for here in the states and have a transfer switch for running of 220V in Australia via a step down transformer? Is this possible or not?
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.
18 REPLIES 18

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Already have a hybrid Magnum 3000W inverter 125A charger and it is 120-240V 50-60H.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would convert power through the battery. Need a 100 amp charger, four batteries and 2000 to 3000 watt inverter to make 120vac you need.

http://www.bestconverter.com/DLS-240-55-240-VAC x2 and get the parallel IQ controller.

http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/go-power-gp-sw3000-12-inverter

The 2000w should run your air but if you will need it a lot I would get the 3000.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not sure what particular utility a transfer switch would have here. I would suggest getting a sufficiently sized transformer (typically they are autotransformers in this case, so the input and output are not isolated) and plugging in through that.

60 Hz microwaves tend not to do so well on 50 Hz power, so avoiding microwaving would be a good idea. If you have a feroresonant converter, that definitely won't work properly; the output voltage is quite dependant on the line frequency (but relatively unaffected by line voltage fluctuations).

On the whole, I'm not sure this is the most practical project, but perhaps someone thinking of taking their 5th wheel from America to Australia and back isn't too worried about what is most practical.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Em...

What about frequency? Isn't Oz 50 Hz? That can make operating certain items like a microwave and A/C, interesting.

An M-G set might be easier (motor-generator). But that would not be a small "thing"
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.