cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding 2 more 6 v

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Hi friends. When I bought my A, I had the dealer replace the older 6 v batteries with new ones, as shown in the photograph. I'm planning an extended boondocking trip this fall and want to increase my capacity. While I have not crunched the numbers on power use, I will be using my 12v water pump, satellite TV, some lights, and power needed for frig which will be on propane but draws a small amount. I plan to add solar at some point. I have plenty of room in my battery bay to add 2 more 6v. I understand that adding 2 new batteries to a bank of "weak" batteries is not prudent. But the pictured batteries are only 6 months old. Thoughts on adding 2 new ones to this system? Maybe load test the old ones first? Thanks for your thoughts.
Bill
[img][/img]
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd
16 REPLIES 16

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Your left diagram above is not a balanced inter-connection of 4 12 volters.

Your right diagram above is a balanced inter-connection for 4 6 volters.

This tutorial may help on how to inter-connect a multiple bank of 12 volt batteries:
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Thanks, will check it out

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your left diagram above is not a balanced inter-connection of 4 12 volters.

Your right diagram above is a balanced inter-connection for 4 6 volters.

This tutorial may help on how to inter-connect a multiple bank of 12 volt batteries:
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
If you are adding batteries in series (those two are in series) they MUST be TWINS of each other.. All identical,Same age,make,model,size,and so on and so on.

IF adding in parallel there is a lot more freedom..I would (DID in fact) not worry about multiple age in parallel

just remember Each pair of six volt has to be indentical within the pair since each pair is effectively a single 12 volt battery.

But the pairs need not be identical.

wa8yxm, when you say in pairs, is that defined by the neg to pos connection on the series graphic on the right?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are adding batteries in series (those two are in series) they MUST be TWINS of each other.. All identical,Same age,make,model,size,and so on and so on.

IF adding in parallel there is a lot more freedom..I would (DID in fact) not worry about multiple age in parallel

just remember Each pair of six volt has to be indentical within the pair since each pair is effectively a single 12 volt battery.

But the pairs need not be identical.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
AH capacity make no difference. A grp 24 will charge and discharge equally paralleled w/ a grp 27 or 31. Its controlled by voltage, not amps.

For myself, I dry camp only, and 4-5 months a year, and I still see no need for more than a 225 AH battery bank, especially since I got 300 watts of solar.
Batteries, like horses, eat hay, and they are dead weight when you don't need them. But, JMO.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Install the two groups of 6V BATTERIES like this. The idea is to get all batteries seeing the same CHARGE VOLTAGES levels when being charged. All "LIKE" DC CABLES should be the same length.

Roy Ken

Hey RoyB, attachement did not show up.
Bill

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Install the two groups of 6V BATTERIES like this. The idea is to get all batteries seeing the same CHARGE VOLTAGES levels when being charged. All "LIKE" DC CABLES should be the same length.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
That would preferable, I believe. Others would know better than me.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Add your 2 6v batteries and don't worry about the age of the other ones. I see no problem at all. Though not 1000% theoretically ideal, you will not notice any difference. Great set-up, go for it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks fellas. Do the amp hours on the new batteries need to match the old ones?
Thanks
Bill

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, do a good top charge on those existing 6's, and an EQ if necessary, after checking SG levels. If things look good, simply parallel the old pair with the new pair, and you should not have any worries.

You'll need to do the same on the new ones... both before putting them into service, and after a few good cycles on their own. (as a 12v string, that is).

You may find each string's ocv (resting open circuit voltage, i.e; no loads whatsoever) must be very, very close, to get them to balance out nice, at first. I split my bank for a while, and found it a little tricky getting the two strings to play nice with each other, afterwards. But a few tries, involving short bursts of charge followed by a good rest, eventually brought things close enough to not make one string leach off the other when paralleled.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Assuming you have not tortured your batteries during the first six months you are fine to add a second pair.

200 to 500 watts of solar will make an amazing difference.