Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

air bags

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The air bags need to be repaired as the metal framework around them has failed. I understand that any shop that welds on a vehicle frame has to have special certification. Is this so?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
2 REPLIES 2

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
I would be looking for one of these shops.

https://www.taraassociation.com/
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who would enforce this?
I didnt ask and they didnt tell when I had receiver hitch welded on the front of the frame. The weld shop has some sort of cert I am sure, but there is no "frame" cert I am aware of.
In general it is a bad idea to weld on the frame, welding will weaken the steel unless it can be heat treated, which it cannot. I had welding done on the front of the frame that was not an important part.
Anything between the axles matters, in front or behind the axle is not important to the handling of the truck or safety.
If you are welding on a piece that is in turn welded to the frame then it might be fine - like the end of a bump stop. Ask yourself, will the frame itself become hot to the point of becoming weak from the welding.