cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flying J and Pilot moving toward B20 diesel?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have noticed the Flying J and Pilot stations I patronized in AZ and CA have switched to B20 diesel. Is this a national trend? I also noticed the selling price is the same as nearby competitors selling regular diesel. Based on a quick internet check, it seems the cost of B20 diesel is cheaper so retailers like Flying J and Pilot are making more money selling the stuff.

The switch to B20 by some of these stations have created a bit of a problem for me when traveling since I have a Mercedes Sprinter moho and I can only use B5 diesel. Instead of seeking the aforementioned brands when I travel, I now look for regular gas stations since all of them seem to sell regular diesel. A side benefit of not using the truck stops next to the interstate highways, the price of diesel is usually cheaper when buying a short distance from the interstate highways.
21 REPLIES 21

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Loves for the last few fill ups. Pumps in the truck lanes say #2 diesel but that could be up to 5% bio. The last times I filled at Pilot/FJ, all the punps said 20% boi

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Bio = less fuel mileage when I tow. One of the reasons I installed an 80 gallon transfer tank.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Thanks for posting the list. As I suspected, all but one of the stations in CA now sell B20. In AZ, only 3 stations show B5 and the rest don't say the type of diesel being sold.

No problem.
You know you can use up to B20 in the MB V6 as long as you keep an eye on the oil level, and some owners have said they shorten the oil/fuel filter and oil change intervals.

MB lays it out in the OM under (go figure) "B20 fuels with bio-diesel content" fuel.
In my 2017 Sprinter manual it's a short blerb on/near page 275.

"B20 fuels with bio-diesel content
! Continuous use of B20 fuel can lead to fuel
filter clogging and injector deposits. This can
cause engine performance degradation.
Injector deposits can cause the engine oil
level to rise due to unburned fuel washing into
the oil pan. This can cause engine mechanical
damage.

To avoid damages and performance degradation:
- Fill up with ULSD (B5 or less) whenever
possible.
- Regularly monitor your engine oil level if
you use B20 fuel on a regular basis.
- Strictly follow the oil change intervals quoted
in the instrument cluster and within
your maintenance booklet.
- Use only engine oils and filters approved for
use in your vehicle.
- If you do not plan to drive your vehicle for
several weeks, fill your vehicleโ€™s fuel tank in
advance with ULSD fuel.

For more information, consult the gas station
staff. The fatty acid methyl ester B5 or B20 label
on the fuel pump must clearly state that the
standard for ULSD is complied with. If the marking
does not make this clear, do not refuel from
that pump.
Do not refuel with any fuels that have not been
approved for your vehicle.
For more information about refueling
(> page 125)."
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
$4000.00, that's how much it cost me to fix everything bio screwed up on my vehicle so when everything goes to bio, I guess I'll have to quit driving my vehicle. In case you're wondering, 2005 6.0 Ford motor in a van...delaminated the fuel tank which took out the fuel pump and several injectors also, NOT supposed to run any bio of any percentage in the system (or so Ford tells me).

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually straight Diesel is getting harder and harder to find. Stations can sell up to 5% Bio and don't have to have a label on the pump. So while you may think you're getting Grade A #2 Diesel you may well be getting 5% Bio.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for posting the list. As I suspected, all but one of the stations in CA now sell B20. In AZ, only 3 stations show B5 and the rest don't say the type of diesel being sold.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the major truck stops are headed towards B20. PFJ have a fuel price list with bio-diesel rating on their fuel. I have found it to be somewhat accurate, as some say they have <=B5, but when you get to the pumps, check the labels. Often they're higher than what the website says...
https://pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices/

Yes, it's all about the money. Some get State tax breaks for selling it, some just sell it because it's cheaper and the profit margin is greater. Also, at the local gas stations, check the diesel pumps for labels describing the source of the fuel. I've seen a few pumps marked with signage like "This fuel is not a Shell/Exxon/BP/??? product". Huh??? Buyer beware.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)