Explorer
My enthusiasm for the "future" peaks at "semi defrosted"

WHERE

Is

The

Vastly

Improved

Insulation

This is yet another half-baked self-serving PR rich yadda. Given a choice between a short-range logistically challenged recreational vehicle OR a modern technology internal combustion engine vehicle with state of the art economy, the Duracell model loses.

Why?

With proper insulation an RV will consume <10% of the energy of a conventional RV. The more deviant the environment the more the savings. Most of the energy east of the Rocky Mountains comes from COAL FIRED plants which in comparison to gasoline or diesel is HIDEOUS as far as emissions are concerned.

In this utterly schizophrenic society, insulation standards are abandoned in favor of buzzwords like "Solar". Look at the energy percentage of solar for your area. Now imagine strict building code and vehicle standards for R values. Try imagining an 80% reduction in hotel energy use.

This is how I know for a fact I am not blowing hot air...

I build convection plywood cabinets for my home refrigerator freezers. And or use a 120 mm 1 watt fan to enhance condenser radiation. A reduction from 65 kWh to 22.5 kWh is not my imagination. I use natural convection enhanced with slight air movement to save SIXTY-SIX percent on just that one item alone. Closed cell foam is good but not the best insulation to use for a home or motor vehicle. Given the impetus of tax credits and location incentives the manufacture of VACUUM PANEL insulation renders a factor of one inch versus eight inches of closed cell foam. A 5,000 BTU air conditioner to equal a 15,000 BTU unit...do not laugh -- open your power bill envelope. And vacuum panels ARE RECOVERABLE for RV's.

I sneer at hypocrisy. While the price of petroleum products has launched into orbit, millions of barrels of USA refined products are headed to the other hemisphere.

As Steve Martin used to bellow
"Well, EXCUUUUUSE ME!" for not becoming hypnotized with the thought of electric motor vehicles.

Electric motor vehicles are a MUST

Right after we solve of the problem of 10x18 British Thermal Units of power being harmfully radiated into our atmosphere. Without purpose. Uselessly. Carelessly. Criminal.
39 REPLIES 39

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our RV could definitely benefit from more insulation ... it's either that or I wish it had a larger propane tank and I wish it had a larger BTU rated air conditioner.

Part/all of David's (the OP) point may be that - "Why install all this solar stuff all over the U.S. (and the world) without FIRST reducing building heat gains and losses through improved insulation all over the U.S. (and the world)."

Really a pretty simple common sense and logical concept!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
fears of unbreathable air (I grew up in SoCal and remember multiple smog alerts and chest pain while breathing back in the 60s; no more even though the number of vehicles has increased ten-fold).
I'm pretty sure emission controls were instrumental in that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
Boston Whaler upside down for the shell, closed cell foam between fiberglass, no frame, no need for two or three A/C's.

I have a 1986 Boston Whaler, the hull will probably outlive me, if RV's where made like that just imagine.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
one highway

Conspicuous consumption fills pockets, and egos.

You've been programmed, to want.

Human shortsightedness knows no bounds.

If there were indeed pearly gates, what if you were confronted with your total carbon footprint instead?

I feel sorry for the youth of today. Welcome to Earth, you owe the government 50K$, and everything is toxic to some degree or another.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My decreasing ability to pay bills is the fundamental question. It has ZERO to do with comparing Mexico to the USA. Some people can stay even with the gradient of ever increasing ARTIFICIALLY MANIPULATED cost of living. I cannot. Not being 95% disabled.

I have a valid USA passport. I have a valid Mexican passport. The Mexican passport is issued by the Secretary of Relationes Exteriores. That is how I have a valid IFE Mexican voting card. I am a citizen a voting citizen of both countries.

This forum is not the time nor is it the place for discussing politics. However it is the place to discuss technology with regard to waste. Especially when waste is endangering my basic life style.

Intelligent people will take my comments and perhaps examine ways to decrease waste and save money in the process. Then there are others who...

At least I myself me, has taken upon myself to unburden USA society of my imposition. I use less than 150 kWh per month. I repair rather than replace. And I do not live like a bum. I doubt if 99 percent of those that sneer could last a month.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
So the insulation in our RVs could be better. Hmmmm...I'm thinking that pretty much everything in life "could" be better...at a cost. What's the point?

May I suggest a correction - insulation "can" be better, not "could". IMO, it also "should" be better. The cost of better insulated RV "could" be less than the cost of extra energy, both in monetary and ecological terms. Less certainty here because benefits are higher when RV is used more often. Likely, better comfort as well.

In shore homes this cost "will" be less than the cost of extra energy.

This - I think - was the point of the OP post.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

The "chicken little" attitude of those who insist that energy consumption is unsustainable or unaffordable will not influence those of us who can afford it and see the world in a different metric. Neither position makes either correct or incorrect. The liberty to pursue happiness is not limited due to someone else's opinion of the pursuit.

Very true. Every doomsday prediction has been proven wrong for many, many years, from the idea that we would be starving from overpopulation (conveniently, technology allowed increased crop yields and quality) to the fears of unbreathable air (I grew up in SoCal and remember multiple smog alerts and chest pain while breathing back in the 60s; no more even though the number of vehicles has increased ten-fold). Trying to predict the future without accepting the probability of new, currently unknown technology is foolish. Weren't we supposed to run out of oil in the 70s?:B
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
So the insulation in our RVs could be better. Hmmmm...I'm thinking that pretty much everything in life "could" be better...at a cost. What's the point?

And in Mex's opinion, "This country lacks administrative and business LEADERSHIP to do anything but wallow in psychosis." Yeah, and Mexico is so much more ahead of the curve, right? Please.:R

I'd kinda like to know how "Mex" votes in both countries. Unless I'm wrong, there are only a few situations that would allow dual citizenship in the US & Mexico.:h

The "chicken little" attitude of those who insist that energy consumption is unsustainable or unaffordable will not influence those of us who can afford it and see the world in a different metric. Neither position makes either correct or incorrect. The liberty to pursue happiness is not limited due to someone else's opinion of the pursuit.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer

And in Mex's opinion, The US lacks administrative and business LEADERSHIP to do anything but wallow in psychosis, and the "What Me Worry" is actively degrading the quality of his life? Yeah, 'cuz Mexico is so much more ahead of the curve, right? Please.:R

I'd kinda like to know how "Mex" votes in both countries. Unless I'm wrong, there are only a few situations that would allow dual citizenship in the US & Mexico.:h
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is obtuse because of arthritic fingers and a desire to make readers think. Superior? Shirley you jest. A doppleganger response is to make oneself feel inferior and that is the last thing I desire. Ask questions. Challenge.

The effects of "What Me Worry" in the USA is actively degrading the quality of my life. Impinging on a barely-able-to-hang-on financial position. So when I see an ambiguity I focus on it. I do not not focus on the fools who promote it.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Almot wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
When a response deals with the poster instead of the issues posted -- they lose. A forfeit.

They lose but they don't know it. It's like with mental disease - the more severe it is, the less likely a person is to acknowledge it and to seek a treatment. With few exceptions here, people can't understand what you are talking about, they just see is that you're pissed off.
Anything more than one line of text is too complicated, blame Youtube :)...
Okay, I don't care who you are, that there is funny.

It's possible that the OP is being obtuse just because, or because he simply can't help it and it makes him feel superior. Most people on most forums simply don't feel the need and make themselves understood quite readily. Obfuscation for its own sake reminds one of politicians, who depend on not being understood.

Okay, I'm done with this thread, I promise.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
When a response deals with the poster instead of the issues posted -- they lose. A forfeit.

They lose but they don't know it. It's like with mental disease - the more severe it is, the less likely a person is to acknowledge it and to seek a treatment. With few exceptions here, people can't understand what you are talking about, they just see is that you're pissed off.
Anything more than one line of text is too complicated, blame Youtube :)...

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The topic is the low quality of the insulation used in RV manufacturing -- it is not as good as it could be. (I am learning to speak fluent Mex.) And Mex is right -- as he often is -- even though his tone can be a little strong.

For what it is worth, I used to have an aluminum trailer with pink Fiberglass in the walls -- not well insulated. My current trailer has about two inches of styrofoam in the walls and ceiling -- it is much more well insulated. But it could be better, I am sure.

And in case the alternative topic is the annoying "invalid" message, I think I have a work-around that works most of the time -- I compose my message off-line, in Microsoft word. I then copy it and paste it into the message form on this website. That often (but not always) works. And when it doesn't, at least I have my message saved as a Word file, so that I can try again later without re-typing it.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
HackerAce wrote:
What the H**L does this have to do with the RV experience?
I'm not sure what the hell it has to do with anything. I guess I'm not in the mood to try to decipher what he's talking about.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
What the H**L does this have to do with the RV experience? :?
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S