cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there such a beast?

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Is there such a beast as a single 200W FLEXIBLE solar panel?

A few days ago, I saw one for several minutes on ebay, went searching elsewhere, went back to ebay and it was gone, never to be seen again.

I see 140W, 180W, 135W. But no single panel 200W - they're all 2 x 100W panels. I don't want that.

Is my wish list an impossible thing? ๐Ÿ˜ž
21 REPLIES 21

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
...2 people told you this ๐Ÿ™‚

Okay, Dad. :B
Saw MC4 and thought it was a go.
Oh, well - little grease never hurt anybody.

ON EDIT: And making those inexpensive mistakes is how we learn, isn't it? Sometimes, they're even expensive mistakes (been there. Done THAT).

But we all had to start somewhere, even you pros! ๐Ÿ™‚

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sort of.
HC4 is the same design as MC4.

But I would shop around for MC4. 2 people told you this ๐Ÿ™‚

MC4 is the connector name and also brand name (Multicontact something in Illinois). You buy Ebay thingy that looks like MC4 and then need a grease to mate them because it doesn't fit well or O-ring is missing or one out of 4 will break at the prongs. Take your chance.

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered these...they were almost half the cost of the other type.
Right ones (I hope!) ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
#2 is the same Y-connector as #1, only with a pigtail.
In either scenario you'll end up with one male fitting and one female, for a pair of 2 panels.
I don't see much sense in #2 (unless they are cheaper than #1), as you'll probably need several feet long MC4 #10 extension cable anyway.

Make sure they are MC4 Y, because occasionally there are other Y-s sold in solar stores (both kinds, i.e. with and without tail).

11A current is high enough to check V-drop as well. Might need MC4 #8 extension from Y to controller, - not #10. Depends on cable length.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
The Y connectors.

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...still trying to figure this all out. So, I put my two panels (1 flexible, 1 framed) side by side to figure out how the heck do you connect them??

I need these to join the panels in parallel?

OR these "Y" connectors?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not common having MPPT with 2*100W. Important numbers with MPPT would be Imp (not Isc), and Voc.

With MPPT you can wire in series too. In this case, the panel with lower Imp will force the other panel into same Imp, this will drag the total wattage down - a little. Not too important, you can still wire these particular panels in series as long as total Voc is within the controller input limit.

Series wiring is much easier than parallel. You just use MC4 #10 cable all the way to controller.

One drawback of series is that higher voltage results in lower MPPT efficiency, but with voltages as low as in your case, I wouldn't worry.

I can't agree about exceeding the Voc input limit of controller. You can exceed MPPT current rating, yes, - TAD. But I don't remember any MPPT of "RV size" that could digest excessive Voc with no ill consequences.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Series vs parallel--When modules are in series, you will see a higher voltage at the controller but the amperage of the lowest module. When connected in parallel you will see the average of the two voltages and the amperage is additive.

If you have adequate wiring to the controller, parallel configuration will probably harvest the most wattage. In some cases, with an MPPT controller, a series connection may harvest slightly more, depending on the efficiency of the controller at certain voltages. Most controllers have a maximum voltage input and cheaper ones will self-destruct at that maximum. Better MPPT controllers just choke back the voltage and deliver the maximum amperage they are rated.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
xyzHollyxyz wrote:

Still compatible to use both in parallel?

Yes.

My panels are 2 x 100W Renogy.
My battery is a brand new AGM Group 31.
My controller is pictured below.
I am beyond frugal in energy consumption:
(use lantern for light, use water from gallon jugs; only concern is fridge, but gave myself a Yeti cooler for Christmas (just in case).

What's the functional difference between connecting in parallel vs. in series?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
xyzHollyxyz wrote:

Yes.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a few panels that were about 20 feet long and 2 feet wide, definitely flexible, as they were rolled out, and staked down. Not something one would do for a weekend, but if someone is at a festival for a few months, 300-600 watts from the ground coming in is usable.

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
For PWM it's Short Circuit current that is important. Not "optimum current". Don't even know where they got this term from, sounds like Chineglish.
I understand that Renogy are e-commerce company, not design or manufacturing.

Yes, you can wire these panels in parallel.

Looks like 15A controller is needed for this pair.

LOLOL - I've always called it Chinglish...

The flex panel short circuit current is 6.10A
The reg panel is 5.75A

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Holly
my tablet keyboard has the dammest spelling auto correct
it Always turns will into silk, and i have to watch every post

and sometimes i miss them

LOLOL - and here I was hoping you were enjoying a nice summer cocktail! ๐Ÿ˜‰

MrWizard
Holly
my tablet keyboard has the dammest spelling auto correct