cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One 6V battery discharging really fast

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
Almost 3 years ago I swapped out my 12V battery for two 6V (Trojan T-105) batteries.

Last weekend, I noticed that my trailer was losing power really fast after charging up. I used a volt meter and discovered that one battery was reading ~4 volts and the other was reading ~6 volts.

The water level looks to be fine on both.

Is it possible that one battery is just bad? Is there some other issue I should look for? Should I just replace the bad battery, or do I need to replace both to keep them approximately the same age?
28 REPLIES 28

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I guess he could grab his multimeter and some baking soda water.

Pop the caps and probe the battery acid. Dont forget to neutralize the battery acid on the probes with baking soda.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
RichieW13 wrote:
Almost 3 years ago I swapped out my 12V battery for two 6V (Trojan T-105) batteries.

Last weekend, I noticed that my trailer was losing power really fast after charging up. I used a volt meter and discovered that one battery was reading ~4 volts and the other was reading ~6 volts.

The water level looks to be fine on both.

Is it possible that one battery is just bad? Is there some other issue I should look for? Should I just replace the bad battery, or do I need to replace both to keep them approximately the same age?

No mention of an hydrometer!!!!

Absolutely must dip an hydrometer into all six cells to know what is really going on.

Say you are into the green on all three of one batt, but only on two in the other batt. Now you must decide whether to to get one new 6 or two new ones.

IMO it would depend on how many cycles the "good" battery has done and what its SG is on the three cells. If almost as good as new I would keep it and get one new one. Or if not, not.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Ahh, my mistake! Sorry

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
capacitor wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1xLnFsob0Could be the way you put them in parallel.

I'm running the 2 x 6v setup, so mine are actually in series.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1xLnFsob0Could be the way you put them in parallel.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, 2oldman. Replace both batteries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible a bad connection can limit charging current to the one battery. 3 years is a year sooner than I went through Trojans, but maybe your usage is heavy. Replace both.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly! Correct voltage for bulk, absorption, float and equalization are important. Trojan has the numbers on their site. .
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
OP
don't let them confuse you. You need a new battery. There aint no kind of equilizing (hi voltage) charging going to fix that battery w/ a stone dead cell.
Its just too bad you went w/ the hi $ Trojans, as you should replace w/ same.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned above you might have lost a cell.

You can try what's called an "equalization charge" and see if the bad battery can still be used.

Wonder if the possible bad cell actually looks different if you shine a flashlight at night down the water holes.

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Know anyone who could bring over a charger capable of doing an 8v equalization charge?

Or if you have a 12v Battery Tender you can possibly use that on the single 6v.

Are you saying that the method of charging the battery can impact the length that the charge will last?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe you have happened upon the very rare situation where your GC2 has a shorted cell.
Check your warranty but I think you need a replacement.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Know anyone who could bring over a charger capable of doing an 8v equalization charge?

Or if you have a 12v Battery Tender you can possibly use that on the single 6v.

madjack60
Explorer
Explorer
Almost sounds like a cell in the battery is dying