cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Powerhouse generator battery replacement

milesbuiltbymil
Explorer
Explorer
My five year old Powerhouse PH2100pri portable generator has been reasonably reliable, but sure wish I had sprung for the Honda. No one will service it, so I do it myself, and so far have kept it functional. I now need to replace the OEM battery (Leoch DJW12-5.0), which has been tough to locate, and I'd guess cost more than it should. The space available in the generator housing is just big enough for the OEM battery, so a substitute isn't likely an option. Is there any reason that I can't skip the battery in the generator and just run cables from my truck or trailer batteries to the generator leads to active the starter? The OEM battery is 5amps, so my concern is that I'd cause damage by giving the starter too many amps.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Miles
9 REPLIES 9

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
You can get a replacement battery at Harbor Freight. It's the same battery they use in their new electric start inverter.

This and don't forget to take the 20% coupon like I did. :S

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I modified my Yamaha genny to allow me to boost it. I've had occasion to do so in the last 2 weeks. I used a boost type battery charger powered from my inverter.

Another option would be to add a device similar to a Trik-L-Start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is to 'service' anyway? Oil change, clean the foam air filter, replace the plug every 5 years run descent gas with stabilizer and you are good to go. Even a valve adjustment is cake. The valve cover is 'O' ringed and the clearances are in your owners manual and it has screw type adjusters. Box wrench and flat blade screwdriver and 5 minutes.

I should be in small engine repair and service, I'd make a killing,
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can get a replacement battery at Harbor Freight. It's the same battery they use in their new electric start inverter.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amps are pulled. Volts are pushed. No worries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
milesbuiltbymiles wrote:
so my concern is that I'd cause damage by giving the starter too many amps.

YOU can't give a device "too many amps".
You control the input VOLTAGE and the device draws what it needs.

As for "jumping" to start the gen, that might work but it might need the battery to KEEP running......or to excite the generator for it to work.

Have you tried a battery specialty store ?
I think they can get pretty much anything......given a little time and some $$$.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I have a PH2100pri that has worked very well for me ,BUT. If you leave the switch for remote start on for more then a few days the battery goes dead. Either start it every day or start it with a rope. Now that I have a class a with generator I only use he PH2100pri at home an I jump it with a car battery every time.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Mex said, assuming it's a 12V battery, any 12V battery will work fine. The amperage is determined by the voltage and the impedance of the starter, not by the size of the battery (well, assuming the battery isn't so small that the voltage sags excessively while cranking).

You probably can find a replacement battery of the same size elsewhere, though, even if it's a different brand. Maybe something like this would do the trick.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If the battery is 12-volts, you could jump start it with a 12 volt battery the size of Staten Island, and the generator wouldn't know a thing was different.