cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane hoses leak

howellma
Explorer
Explorer
So, why do propane hoses leak? this is my second camper and my first i replaced the hoses twice and now one is leaking at the swivel connection to the tank connector. Does anybody else have this problem? Are they that cheaply made? This hose hasn't even taken that permanent set that they are prone to do.

Mike
5 REPLIES 5

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I was losing propane and had a time trying to find a leak. turn out the hose was leaking at the fitting and when I moved the hose I heard the hiss. so when traveling the hose would move a little up and down and the tank would be almost empty at camp. so now even with new hoses I travel with the propane off.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
In the AZ heat and sun they don't last long either.
I had a friend that took his two year old trailer camping with our group and when he set up, both pigtails were leaking, but one was just barely showing a bubble from a soap test. He had a manual regulator change over regulator with a Tee on the bottom for both hoses. The problem was that he couldn't shut off one side. We couldn't get parts late at night, so I ended up taking off one of my soft drawn copper pigtails and letting him use it to replace the one that he had that was leaking real bad. Since I had an automatic change over regulator I could run off of just one side. If for no other reason, the auto change over regulator is worth it.

I use the soft drawn copper pigtails. They could eventually work harden and crack, but I have never had one go bad yet. Besides, they are on the outside and they last much longer than any hose that I've ever had.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Most common place for a leak. Also the more they are handled, the sooner they will leak.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
the last replacement I bought was bad out of the box. :R

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, that is common on some type hoses. Do NOT get the type that have just a regular crimp ring that looks like a regular ring for a finger. THOSE will leak. You want the type that has a cone about 1/2 inch long that engulfs the end of the hose. Doug