cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Tank O ring Replacements

Bird_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
The o rings on the open/close valve of my Manchester propane tank just started leaking. Is it OK to replace them with plumbing ones from Home Depot/Lowe's or do I need ones made especially for propane?
5 REPLIES 5

Bird_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
After internet searches and phone calls and visits to welding parts shops, etc I went to Suburban Propane in Lancaster, CA. I showed one of the repairmen the innards that I removed from my tank(which is a horizontal mounted Manchester Tank that is mounted under my camper) and he said that the o-rings are not replaceable and that I needed a new Rego valve or a new bonnet (which I call the innards). He went out to his truck and pulled out the exact Rego part I needed and it was roughly $16 plus tax. Made my day.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Bob wrote:
The o rings on the open/close valve of my Manchester propane tank just started leaking. Is it OK to replace them with plumbing ones from Home Depot/Lowe's or do I need ones made especially for propane?

If it is the valve seals that stop the flow of LP, you REPLACE the valve. Doug

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
search amazon for Heater-O-Rings-Soft-P-O-L-Fittings

$4 for 20 in canada

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You could also check with a welding supply shop that handles propane and acetylene or an industrial supply company that handles rubber products and hoses. Either should have a good supply of O-rings in various sizes and materials rated for the proper fluids or gages.

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to a Propane Co. They should be able to correctly help you. Not something to play with.