cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about house battery's

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, I had the camper out for the first trip of the season and ran into a few electrical issues. First many outlets did not work, I found that a breaker was tripped but tripped instantly if flipped back on. Since it had 2 hot wires going into it, I tried each one separately and found that 1 caused it and the other had no problems. After this everything worked, I am just not sure what that wire was feeding since I cannot find anything off now and it was marked "general purpose:. The issue I still have and possibly unrelated was low power. Even when I am plugged into shore power, if my furnace kicked on, I would get a Lowe power alarm on the refrigerator and my lights would be extremely dim. Even if I switched to LP for the refrigerator it would not work unless I started the motorhome. I am hoping it is just a bad house battery, but would that have this effect even when plugged in to shore power? I had it tested at a parts store on the way home and it did say replace ( had 330 CCA rated for 600). The battery is 4 years old. Any input would be greatly appreciated
15 REPLIES 15

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I should have clarified that once I found that I hooked it back up and tested it. It was a ground (actually 2) on the AC panel, everything is working good now, thank you everyone!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Dmbaker07 wrote:
Using the troubleshooting diagram and testing for voltage with the 12v positive out and then again with it in, both test show the converter and the charger are functioning properly.

How can the converter be working correctly when no power is going to it? Didn't you say the wire you removed is the one which goes to the converter?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Dmbaker07 wrote:
I will try that now, it is a
Series 6300A model 6345

I believe that is a Magnetek or Parallax converter. If I am correct, you would be wise to replace it with a modern converter such as a PD 9250 Converter.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
I may have found the issue, the converter ground is in bad shape at the account box, I will strip that down to copper and try again...thank you you everyone for all the responses.

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
Using the troubleshooting diagram and testing for voltage with the 12v positive out and then again with it in, both test show the converter and the charger are functioning properly.

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
I tried that and it did still trip the breaker.

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
I will try that now, it is a
Series 6300A model 6345

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you disconnect the 12v output wire does the breaker still trip? When you disconnect it, remember it is still connected to the battery so make sure it doesn't touch anything, or disconnect it at the battery first.

What is the make of the converter?

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I am home and can take some time to look at it, that wire does run directly to the power converter. If I connect it and turn the breaker on, It trips instantly and all I can hear is a low humming Noise from the converter.

MrWizard
start by checking the batteries
charge with an external charger
they are now about dead and need a full recharge
either the converter died and quit charging the batteries
or there is a bad shorted cell that overloaded the converter and killed it
chances are the converter blew/burned out an internal part, a filter capacitor or high power diode, switching rectifier etc..
its toast

the batteries might be savable
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a battery charger put it on the battery and charge it up.

I agree that you need to find out what the problem is with the mystery wire.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The fact that you have a battery rated in CCA would mean a hybrid deep cycle/starting battery and not a true deep cycle battery. You will either need some knowledge about 12 V systems and a hand held meter or hire a technician to diagnose your problems.

The problem with the doubled circuit could be a 120V issue or converter related but we don't know if the wire you removed is the circuit for the converter. Again, a meter and how to test for continuity is necessary.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
What converter brand,.....probably a wfco, or a Boondocker
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Since when you are plugged into shore power your 12 volt stuff (fridge etc) is run of a built in converter my initial guess is that the wire you have that tripped the breaker went to the converter that supplies 12 volt to the rig. Now you are running only off battery.
My guess bad converter

My thoughts also but I wouldn't go so far as to say the converter is bad. At this point it is unknown why the wire is shorted to ground, further research is needed.

Put a meter on the battery and you will probably find there is no charge going into the battery with that wire disconnected.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900