cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remove lens for overhead LEDs

Beaux_Duke
Explorer
Explorer
My Columbus 320RS has some styrofoam debris behind the lens/covers for the overhead lights. I'd like to clean them out but I'm concerned about damaging the fixture. So far I've gently tugged straight down and lightly turned the covers side to side but nothing has loosened the covers. Anyone know the trick to removing the covers without causing damage.
01 Silverado 2500HD, 8.1, Allison, 4.10
13 Columbus 320RS
9 REPLIES 9

Beaux_Duke
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot (again) about this post but since I'm here I figured I should update it with the solution.
The lens removes by twisting it counter clockwise, like unscrewing a light bulb.
Some were more difficult than others but all were removed and cleaned with no problems.
Thanks to all who offered input
13 Columbus 320RS

Beaux_Duke
Explorer
Explorer
Ceiling light
A photo is a great idea! The older I get the more I forget. Hopefully I set it up so people can view it.

It's not very clear but hopefully you can see it's somewhat similar to a can light. Look close and you can see the individual LEDs. The lens is round with serrated edges (which should provide a good surface to grip) and fits flush with the ceiling. The dark objects in the center are the styrofoam I'd like to get out.

Thanks for all the responses so far!
13 Columbus 320RS

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I used a plastic pry tool to remove the lights on my 320RS. They pry straight down. Here's an example of the tools which you can find at your local auto parts store:
http://www.amazon.com/No-Scratch-Tools-Removing-Fastener-Molding/dp/B000LNBLTK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qi...
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the pictures on their site, it looks like the ones in the ceiling are the puck lights. If they are like mine, pull down, hold the fixture and twist the lens counter clockwise. They are tough, but with a little effort you should be able separate the lens from the housing.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Just took a tour of the 2014 Columbus 320RS online. Nice rig.

Couldn't get a good view of the light fixtures but they appeared to be the round ones, definitely not the same as the photo above or my fixtures. Wasn't obvious to me how the lens would come off, other than pulling them down. Maybe the entire fixture pulls out of the ceiling and then comes apart.

Sorry.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I have similar fixtures and the lens slide to the ends to release.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Every fixture is different. On mine I squeeze the sides together and pull down. As Jim said, a pic would help.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grab the lens close to the center of the fixture where the switch is located - gently squeeze in and slide out to the end and it will fall into your hand...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Can you post a picture of your fixtures?
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator