cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair of trailer bottom

Chickenkiller
Explorer
Explorer
This may be in wrong section but since I want to do this myself I posted it here. I had a blow-out on my TT and above where the tire is the insulation is shredded. There seems to be a hole there (don't think it goes into the floor) and was wondering if anyone has repaired damage caused by a blow-out. I am currently thinking of covering the damage with a piece of plywood treated or a piece of sheet metal attached to any framework that is there. I have not thoroughly looked at it, just noticed the damage when I changed the tire.

Thanks for any information.

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

Fred:C
5 REPLIES 5

Chickenkiller
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I further investigated the extent of the damage and found that there was no damage to the wheel well but there was to the bottom area past the wheel well. I attached a piece of 3/8" plywood to the bottom. It is directly under the slide-out and was concerned about whether it was damaged but found none so I feel that I am in good shape. I coated the plywood with a water sealer and hopefully that will do the trick.
Fred:C

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Just repaired a crack in a plastic well, last week. I used fiberglass resin and woven roving, followed by a finish layer of fiberglass cloth. Just screwing or riveting sheet metal is not going to make the wheel well water proof.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
Damaged wheel wells caused by tires is a common problem in fivers. I prefer to use thin gauge sheet aluminum. Steel sheet can be used, but it will rust.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
pick up a piece of sheet metal at HD or tractor supply, etc. and secure it with self tapping screws. You can paint it beforehand to match underside of trailer. It's better anyway, it will protect underside next time you have a blowout

Too_Tall
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem. My wheel wells are plastic. When I ran on a wet road the tires throw water into the trailer. I used pop rivets to secure a urethane patch to the damaged well. I guess it would depend what material the wheel well is made of and how much damage there is. Good Luck