cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar, Battery upgrade priority (other mods also)advice???

Refresh345
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there forum,

I am looking to thoroughly upgrade exterior, and refresh the interior, of my Sprinter T1N, Class B, motorhome. Once the Corona restrictions lift we want to move on in an effectively new 'home'

WE are working on various upgrades ($$ allowing)
The most important issue is installing the most potent solar & battery system we can.

Any advice you can all offer would be EXCEEDINGLY WELCOME and appreciated:

What is the highest potential solar and battery storage (Lithium) one could fit onto a Sprinter T1N?

I wish to use Lithium batteries instead of AGM.
Unless you all advise strongly against that.

The 2 batteries can weigh a maximum 100kg in total.
They must provide a, total, capacity of 550AH minimum

I already have a solidly crafted metal battery storage box in place just behind the rear axle.
I can store two batteries of 51cm x 27cm x 22cm

Though I am also considering the use of additional foldable & flexible solar panels, I first, need to install the maximum wattage/12v Amperage on the roof.

What would be the best system anyone has experience with and can, confidently, recommend.

Is 45AH produced, in full desert blasting mid-day sun, a realistic aim?

My thanks, in advance, for any advice you all can offer me.??

Refresh

PS. Roof dimensions, top-down, attached
Hi there forum,

I am looking to thoroughly upgrade exterior, and refresh the interior, of my Sprinter T1N, Class B, motorhome. Once the Corona restrictions lift we want to move on in an effectively new 'home'

WE are working on various upgrades ($$ allowing)
The most important issue is installing the most potent solar & battery system we can.

Any advice you can all offer would be EXCEEDINGLY WELCOME and appreciated:

What is the highest potential solar and battery storage (Lithium) one could fit onto a Sprinter T1N?

I wish to use Lithium batteries instead of AGM.
Unless you all advise strongly against that.

The 2 batteries can weigh a maximum 100kg in total.
They must provide a, total, capacity of 550AH minimum

I already have a solidly crafted metal battery storage box in place just behind the rear axle.
I can store two batteries of 51cm x 27cm x 22cm

Though I am also considering the use of additional foldable & flexible solar panels, I first, need to install the maximum wattage/12v Amperage on the roof.

What would be the best system anyone has experience with and can, confidently, recommend.

Is 45AH produced, in full desert blasting mid-day sun, a realistic aim?

My thanks, in advance, for any advice you all can offer me.??

Refresh

PS. Roof dimensions, top-down, attached
6 REPLIES 6

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jdc1,

A very few folks are doing just that--using a Prius battery pack. It requires a greater knowledge base.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder why a Prius battery pack isn't used in RV's? They would be less expensive than two 12v lithium batteries.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Heat is going to be a negative to the solar harvest. Solar is usually talked about in watts not amps. But 800 watts may be enough to meet your requirement "in the noon day sun" (mad dog's and Englishmen)

Li do not love heat either.

I doubt you can store 550 amp-hours of battery bank in a box that size. Unless the plates are made from "unobtainium".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This series of articles may help:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

I'm not fond of Li batteries as I live where it gets cold.
Regards, Don

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œThe most important issue is installing the most potent solar & battery system we can.โ€

You really need over 225 AHs every day? Thatโ€™s a bunch of power for a B.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fix your post first. You can't post pictures from your pc.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman