cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar install question for Open Range Light 308BHS

marcindy
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this question in the Open Range forum, but thinking I might be more ideas/support here.

This is my solar install on my HTT from 2013
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27152017.cfm

Well, we have sold the Rockwood, and getting ready to pick up our 308BHS- very excited. I have taken just about everything off the old trailer and will move it to the new one.

For mounting the panels on the roof, can I use something similar to how I did it before (shown in the pictures)? I called Open Range, but they weren't overly helpful. I have to image that the structure of the open range roof is better than that of my old Roo HTT. It worked very well before, and I'm hoping to repeat the same setup.

Thank you for idea's
Marc
4 REPLIES 4

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely try to hit a roof joist or two, you will get a much sturdier mount.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

marcindy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 or 5" stainless wood screws that go through the unistrut, through the roof and into the top plate of the wall. I'm thinking this would still be ok on the new trailer. Maybe it has real roof joists that I could tie into.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not clear (from your linked first post) exactly how those rails are attached to the roof.. of course I could have missed something.

I know 2ea large wood screws on each corner into a 1/4" plywood underlayment holds a 135w panel just fine. I guess I'd recommend using more, but probably not 16.

Nice work all around by the way.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

marcindy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm specifically talking about how the rails are mounted, shown in the second picture.
BTW, batteries changed to qty 3 T1275 trojan