cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

transfer switch 50 amp

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
just wondering if anyone has seen a problem coming from the transfer switch when on 30 amps, I have several recepticles out , but when running the genny everything works fine. I don't have a 50 amp line at home to plug it into, so I don't know if it will do the same thing
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus
23 REPLIES 23

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
A Learning Moment For Mex...

With 240/50 rigs, is it a universal practice to enable all and everything but additional roof air conditioners when running on a single 120 vac leg? How is the shed of A/C power accomplished?

Thank You
Some explanation here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellitec-50-Amp-smart-EMS-energy-management-system-upgrade-kit-model-760

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

With 240/50 rigs, is it a universal practice to enable all and everything but additional roof air conditioners when running on a single 120 vac leg? How is the shed of A/C power accomplished?

Thank You

Bestconverter has a Automatic load shed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not with the switch, But several have with the adapters... Sometimes they fail to feed both legs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for bad adapter or some other loose connection.

Of course it would also be prudent to check the GFCI outlet is not tripped.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Start by verifying that your adapter's female end (30 male to 50 female) DOES have 120 VAC between each outer straight and the center straight and center round. Zero center round to center straight.

Let us know what you find.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Thank You

The typical practice, as I understand it, among less fancy units is to leave load management entirely up to the user. The adapter (or 30A cord) just applies the single 120V hot to both legs of the main breaker, so every circuit has power. (Obviously any actual 240V circuits would not operate, but they are quite rare. I guess some clothes dryers used in RVs are 240V, but that's about it. Many 50A RV load centers can't accommodate 240V branch circuits at all.)

Fancier coaches with a full-fledged EMS use various load shedding setups, the details being I suppose mostly at the whim of the manufacturer.

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It sounds like one of the legs is not being connected for some reason. While it's possible that there's a contact in the transfer switch that is failing to make contact, there are also other possibilities to check.

It could be that your 30A to 50A adapter is broken and not supplying one of the two 50A legs with power. That should be pretty easy to check with a meter. It could also be that you have a broken connection at your shore power plug, or at the other end somewhere.

I really don't know. on our previous mh, which is in salvage heaven, when ever I plugged it in , 30 or 50 amp service it always worked great. I think you are right, thats what I have been thinking. plus i am not using any adapters. i think the relay in the box does the thinking
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Thank You

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like one of the legs is not being connected for some reason. While it's possible that there's a contact in the transfer switch that is failing to make contact, there are also other possibilities to check.

It could be that your 30A to 50A adapter is broken and not supplying one of the two 50A legs with power. That should be pretty easy to check with a meter. It could also be that you have a broken connection at your shore power plug, or at the other end somewhere.