cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winegard dish verses direct tv dish

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My winegard dish on my "C" is missing the LNB. I have a LNB from a direct TV dish. Compatible? I am using Direct in my coach.
24 REPLIES 24

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Good job. As long as you were set for SWM you would get no signal no matter what. Getting into multiswitch fixed that. It's OK if you see the message about seven days, it just means it might take that long for the program guide to get fully loaded to 2 weeks of programming. When dealing with this stuff just keep clicking continue until you reach the end where it says "watch DirecTV" and sit back and relax. It sounds like your way worked as well. Just remember that each time you move locations you will need to use slightly different settings.

Bill your way of explaining things really helped as well. I have since gone back into the menu's and looked around which helps in understanding how the

whole things work. Like i told the wife, better to learn now then when we are boon docking in the desert with no phone reception and no one to

ask for help.

see you guys on the road....

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job. As long as you were set for SWM you would get no signal no matter what. Getting into multiswitch fixed that. It's OK if you see the message about seven days, it just means it might take that long for the program guide to get fully loaded to 2 weeks of programming. When dealing with this stuff just keep clicking continue until you reach the end where it says "watch DirecTV" and sit back and relax. It sounds like your way worked as well. Just remember that each time you move locations you will need to use slightly different settings.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Good Going! It get easier the more time you set up. Good Luck when on the road.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy to report I have direct tv working. After I switched out the box with the new box i activated last night the set up process went

smoothly. I shut everything off and when I turned it back on all was in working order. The box I changed out this morning was very hot

on the bottom, not warm, too hot to hold in your hand. That is going back to DT soon. Dear wife asked me if I was going to write down any notes,

after the past two days i think Im good.

To all that chimed in with suggestions I thank you.

See you on the road..............

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES! I moved the MH this morning and went on the roof with the compass on my phone, set the direction at 138 + - and changed the dish setting to

18" and SWM to multiswitch ( Thanks Bill!!) the signal strength meter started ticking off numbers, first one was 88 ,and so on. i turned the dish from inside and the numbers

changed ,even had some 100. Anyway I clicked on done. It went to a screen saying the programming would have to load, up to seven days worth. I clicked

off the box and started over. What I noticed is i had to reset the dish selection and the multiswitch option again. Then the signal meter started clicking

good numbers again, it is presently loading the programming data.

Do I need to click or select an option to lock onto the dish selection and multiswitch selection or is that done each time.

regards,

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
According to my info Orange is: Elevation 43 and azmith 137.
What I do is check with a compass to get that general azmith direction (137)to point it to. The fact that you get the 775 thing means you are getting something, just not enough to operate it properly yet. As said, go to the on screen menu, listen for the beeps and when they speed up to maximum you are there. Usually 70 to 80% is fine. Thats how I do mine.
Yes it is frustating and I have cussed many times getting it right. When you get the speeding up beeps just v-e-r-y slowly move it a tiny bit up or down or sideways to get the best percentage signal. Hope this helps.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys, when I go to satellite settings I don't get a beep nor can i find the color bar that is mentioned in some posts and other research i have done.

I activated a different DT box last night, I am going to use that today AND move the MH to a different location. Thank you for your patience and input.

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A question to the OP. Do you have HD Sat or SD at home? It looks like you are in California general aiming for the Sat101 would be south-east rom your location. Turn on your sat box. Try swing your dish in the SW direction. Watch the sat meter or if your box beeps, swing until you get a rapid beeping. You may have to swing the dish a few time and raise or lower the dish as you swing it until it locks onto the sat. Then fine turn your dish. We travel around the country and I just do a quick swing with my dish and lock in the sat in just a few minutes. It is basically either aiming to SW or SE. Then its getting the right elevation Gary

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will not use the tilt or skew setting with a manual roof mounted antenna. You will need to set the receiver to 18" round, multiswitch and then use the settings option in your receiver where you can enter a zip code to get the proper elevation and azimuth.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well at this point I am pretty lost. What you said makes sense. One thing I noticed is the H24 box is so hot on the bottom you cannot touch it. I am going to activate the new box

that was sent the other day for the spare bedroom and try that. Possibly even though the location looks clear maybe that tree is in the way. IDK. What exactly is the tilt and how would

I measure that, i understand azimuth and height. Can you get HD TV in an RV ?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting nothing means you are getting nothing. That means you either have the wrong kind of receiver, you are not pointed correctly or you don't have the wiring connected correctly.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the O's (for each channel strength) could be you are on the wrong sat. don't worry about O's till the green line goes as far to the right as your tuning the dish side to side and up and down. Go for strong signal strength before locking in channels.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
fischer wrote:
The app is satfinder lite

thanks fischer..

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
19 degrees would not be right unless you are very close to AK! There are smartphone apps that can help you get pointed and the receiver allows you to enter a zip code and get the proper elevation and azimuth settings.

I found out how to get the degree setting, it is 47. The azimuth is 138. So I crank it up and point in the direction of 138 after i set the

pointer of the ring with the degree settings to true north. I used my phone compass. The tv screen shows 5 lines of signal strength.

0's start to appear, i s l o w l y turn the dial towards the 138 mark, i go past it and return. nothing but zero's .

IF the LNB was at a different angle than the original one would it make a difference? It bolted on quite nicely. And the tilt of the dish

is that a concern? It has a slight rocking motion if you push it, very small though.

Not knowing what was done to this satellite before I got my mitts on it causes me to be concerned. I have no problem installing a

new dish or getting equipment to help with this process except the automatic ones. You keep advising me and Ill keep trying.

there were many options concerning which dish i had, not knowing I selected 18".