Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yo Mex, read about cheap solar panels

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Read This.

Could drop again with Brexit - for a while. But this hasn't been the main reason in the last 5-6 years.

Simply put, it was a takeover, planned and executed. Billions of govt dollars in subsidized manufacturing, for the great cause. Though communist planners couldn't foresee all the consequences. Mass production brought the prices to the point where nobody could keep up. European and American solar manufacturing was decimated (belated tariffs couldn't do much), but many of Chinese domestic businesses were also hit in the wake of over-supply.

Most of the surplus was eventually shipped to third world countries, - good news for Mexico.
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mex,

I can find ultra cheap panels (made by Sharp). I can't find reasonable shippinG costs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Why the hell not? Everyone else seems to be 1000% "on their own side on any issue". My trillions of panels absurdity will never come to pass in my lifetime and right now the storage life of an alkaline D cell far outdistances my own.

Mexicans are superb craftspersons when operating under competent supervision. For years their LTH batteries gave RAMCAR's Philippine car batteries one hell of a neck and neck race. Tremendously fewer warranty issues than with Trojan, Alco, US Battery, ABC, Delco, or Johnson Control CAR BATTERIES. I have to extrapolate: This is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT with golf car or industrial batteries.

Head to Head I would have to go with Mexican made panels. But better yet are Japanese panels, and topping everything are panels made for aerospace there in the good old USA.

I have made it abundantly clear that the weight of my starvation diet bends the teeter-totter severely. It skews it heavily. A seventy dollar load of food gone bad in the refrigerator for instance is an inconvenience for an overwhelming majority of you folks north of the border. For me, it would be unmitigated disaster-incarnate. A sixty miles to get replacement groceries, slap-in-the-face. Destitution. I live like a Trappist Monk to save enough to buy electronics toys. Locals ask me why I do no drink beer. One beer a day is thirty dollars a month. My reality is what I experience and not what others tell me "It should be".

Your mileage may vary ๐Ÿ™‚

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
If panels get inexpensive enough, I will make the roof of Quicksilver resemble the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and refurbish the 3-axle retired Ryder utility trailer. Flaps on all four sides clad with panels. Wishful thinking in progress ๐Ÿ™‚

Mex, Mex, Mex...
Shortsightedness of the old age. Or is is farsightedness, don't remember, sneaky Alzheimer is trying to throw me off all the time.

You will have your wish granted, many-many cheap panels. China will make trillions of them. They will also make their living. You are on small pension. Many people still have to work. Including your neighbors in pueblo. Do you know that Mexico tried to launch their first solar cell factory back in 2012, then had to postpone the project and downscale the capacity because of those trillions of panels funded by politburo yan's?...
I hear they finally made it with new Ciudad Juarez plant. Godspeed to them.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And pay six dollars every two months like I do, and it sure helps when the power goes dead...

"By gawd, I pay more for a burger and fries than I do for electric"

Shout it in the streets for all the good it will do. Then go home and light a candle.

Lt the solar solicitor's plate everyone else's rooftop. If panels get inexpensive enough, I will make the roof of Quicksilver resemble the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and refurbish the 3-axle retired Ryder utility trailer. Flaps on all four sides clad with panels. Wishful thinking in progress ๐Ÿ™‚

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt the economy will overtake political powers.
We did not get 60 mpg cars 20 years ago, we are not getting them today and not likely we will have them in 20 years.
Than think about it - less money oil companies make, less political contributions are going to happen.
I am getting about 50 solicitation calls from solar installers every month.
But once I tell them that my average electric bill is about $30 - they hang up.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
On the flip side...

Ever wonder why there's no more California "Rolling Blackouts"?

Millions of solar panels have been installed for co-generation. I'd bet there are ten thousand just in the town of Sebastopol, alone. 200 watts times 2-3 million panels adds up to well distributed (more efficient) power. No CO2 HC or NOX.

Let the Chinese poison themselves. Not my problem. But the more panels they turn out the less crude oil gets used. Lower priced fuel. Standard of living goes up MOTORHOMES GET SOLD and RV WEBSITES stay profitable.

So let the Chinese make trillions of panels. Close petro burning power plants.

Like lead (Pb) I would love to see petroleum become a minor issue in the world. There's talk of gasoline engine direct port fuel injection with twin turbochargers. How would you like to have a 50% size engine, weighing half as much? Gasoline would become 100% sulfur free.

And competition would definitely lead to a horse race for more efficient solar panels.

The Chinese economy is barely comprehensible. I got my business MBA submitting my thesis on Latin American Economies which by nature must interface with world powers. Many should thank their lucky stars the USA did not adopt the European model which included eight dollar a gallon gasoline. This website would not exist, nor the parent company.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting read. Thanks for posting.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Good. Now to find panels that will fit into a 4-1/2' x 6' roof rack for transport.