cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1 pc Fiberglass roof vs. "rubber"; "Huck bolted frame?

deere4110
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at two different trailers (new): A Venture Sonic SN220VBH with a one piece fiberglass roof. The second is a North Trail 21FBS with a laminated roof with a rubber skin.

The idea of a fiberglass roof seems "better" to me; but overall I think the North Trail is a higher end (relatively speaking) than the Sonic.

Any thoughts on the two roof systems? Is one type less of a hassle/worry than the other?

The North Trail has a fiberglass nose cap across the front of the trailer. Any issues with the roof seam between the rubber and the cap? Is it a water proof seam or does the water run between the cap and the trailer box?

Also, the Sonic has a huck bolted frame. Is this typical, or anything worthy to note?

Thanks,
Emp
7 REPLIES 7

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of a roof of any material failing. Roof leaks from when the sealant used in the various penetrations crack from losing it's flexibility as it ages. Since all roofs have penetrations, they can all leak.

An argument can be made for a rubber roof have a slight advantage in that it is flexible as is the sealant, and as the sealant loses it's flexibility and trys to pull away from the roof, the rubber will stretch some and make it less likely to crack.... At least for little while longer.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

deere4110
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot for some really informative answers for me. The positive comments about the huck bolted frame is a surprise as I was thinking a welded frame was the only thing to consider.

As far as fiberglass roofs, I need to see what other manufacturers use them so I have another point of reference.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber roofs (or membrane roofs in general) are immediate turn-offs for me. However, almost all trailers have them unless you go to a place that can make a fiberglass or one piece metal roof. With those, you are not relying on a glob of caulk to keep water out of cracks.

As for huck bolts, I wonder what keeps them from loosening over time. If it can thread on, it can vibrate loose. Maybe put some red Loctite on the threads before putting on the collar and using the tool to mash it down?

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass roofs are considered better. But by excluding rubber roofs you are going to cull out 95% of your travel trailer choices. You almost never see on hear issues of rubber roofs failing, water gets in at improperly protected penetrations thru the rubber roof.

I would not base my purchase on what type of roof or frame the unit had as the first factor. Floor plan, features, weight, tank capacities would all rank higher in my decision. If then I found two contenders and one had a better roof and or frame, then that may sway my decision.

I have never heard or seen of Venture RV until now. I looked at pictures on line. Nice looking camper. Does not appear to have a cambered roof or gutters on the side but rather is rounded from front to back so I assume all the water runs off either accross the front or down the back wall.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a fiberglass roof wins hands down. no more EPDM for me. that's my first cut when making a decision.
bumpy

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Every time you see long train on the railroad tracks pulling tons and tons of freight down the tracks on the railway cars, transport trailers, auto transport trailers and boxcards...virtually every one of those trailers are made with huck bolted frames. Stronger than welded, simpler to build and much lighter.

Alcoa developed them primarily for use on aluminum Alcoa built chassis and frames, now being used on trucks, busses and general transportion vehicles.

And HuckBolt fasteners meet or exceed the performance of torqued bolts in both shear and tensile strengths. Chances are if your car is 2 or 3 years old it has some huckbolts holding it together!

And membrane roofs are fine, usually having 15 to 20 year warranties...and will likely out last the warranty.
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Huck bolted is the Cadillac of frame construction. Also, IMO, the fiberglass is a much better roof than the rubber, and I have had both. The rubber will require annual maintenance and replacement at about 10 years, while the fiberglass is a permanent type roof.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today