cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2012 Keystone Passport tire wear problem (with pics)....

molardog
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ryone....thought I'd ask everyone's opinions on this tire wear issue....back axle tires are balding on the inner tread stripe with approx 15k miles on them. Search function tells me this can result from overloading, not towing level, or alignment issues. Unsure as to which applies to our situation....aside from about the last 8k miles towing with 4 bike rack at rear of camper (I no longer run with them back there for various reasons)? Is it possible that the bikes caused enough overload to wear both back tires like this? See pics:

Dr side

Passenger side

Is the axle bent?

Tires are the PowerKing's that came with it new btw.

Do these tires still have useful life left? I am considering rotating the fronts to the back as a test to se if the wear happens again (now that we aren't carrying bikes on the back) vs just out right replacing them and risking premature wear on a brand new pair! Any suggestions/tips are much appreciated!
32 REPLIES 32

molardog
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
Curb strike knocked the camber off... You indicate alignment can't be the cause, have you had the alignment checked ? I had similar wear and it turned out the factory failed to install cross pieces between the spring shackles which allowed the rear axle to move out of alignment side to side by about an inch.

My mistake....I meant to say I have not had the alignment checked. Would a curb strike affect both sides? I try to be careful about those, but have scrubbed a curb a time or two.

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
The photo may be deceptive but I would put a level or some other straight edge on that axle. Looks like a curve in it to me. But again it could be a photo deception and not actually bent. Pictures are not always perfect.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Curb strike knocked the camber off... You indicate alignment can't be the cause, have you had the alignment checked ? I had similar wear and it turned out the factory failed to install cross pieces between the spring shackles which allowed the rear axle to move out of alignment side to side by about an inch.