cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 Sierra Denali 1500 6.2L & 2016 Sunset Trail ST320BH

swethog
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all and looking for some impartial third-party recommendation as I've been pulling my hair out over this.

I currently have a 2015 Sierra Denali 1500 with the 6.2L (420hp/460#) and the 8-speed. Tranny cooler. Build sheet weight is 3269#, but nadaguides, kbb, etc. say curb weight is more like 5400#. I will be going to a scale tomorrow to get a real number. GVWR is 7,200# (GMC website), GCWR is 15,000# (manual). Truck has the integrated braking controller and 3.24 gears but they do not offer the max trailering package with this truck (salesman lied to me and I believed him - first mistake).

Looking to buy a 2016 Sunset Trail ST320BH which comes in at 7700# dry, GVWR of 9744#, and tongue weight of 944#.

TT dealer is throwing in a Center Line WDH with it.

Using the Towing capacity worksheet at http://www.popthetop.com/files/
and the 3269# of the truck I come in at 88% of GCWR and life is good. Using the 5400# I have found around on the Net I come in at 102% of GCWR. Life is not so good.

My GMC guy (who lied to me originally and got an earful of it from me) of course says no-go and wants me to upgrade to a Duramax/Allison combo.

Two different camper sales places both said they wouldn't think twice about a 7700# on my truck.

We are pretty set on the ST320BH because we want bunks, TV for the kids and a bath and a half which are very hard to come by. We could probably go for the 2016 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 3350BH which comes in at 6650# but we don't really like the interior as much.

I have been struggling with this for days now and am about ready to just forget the whole thing. Does anyone here have an opinion on the matter? If I need to provide other info I can.
42 REPLIES 42

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
swethog wrote:
@tunkcurt1
Thanks. That goes along with what everyone else was saying. New truck is almost ready (had some rock chips with only 20 miles on it? weird), pick it up today, then the camper on the 31st. Line-X, tonneau cover and side steps are all planned for next week. First two trips already planned, very excited. I've decided to stick with the Husky Center-Line 1400# bars for now. I also thought about a fifth wheel but we really like the layout of the TT while traveling with kids is happening but I assume in 4-5 years I'll be looking to change it out. Pretty windy in SD!

If you think you're going to upgrade to a fifth wheel in 4 or 5 years you'd save yourself a lot of money by just buying one now. A new TT is going to depreciate like crazy over that time span.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

swethog
Explorer
Explorer
@tunkcurt1
Thanks. That goes along with what everyone else was saying. New truck is almost ready (had some rock chips with only 20 miles on it? weird), pick it up today, then the camper on the 31st. Line-X, tonneau cover and side steps are all planned for next week. First two trips already planned, very excited. I've decided to stick with the Husky Center-Line 1400# bars for now. I also thought about a fifth wheel but we really like the layout of the TT while traveling with kids is happening but I assume in 4-5 years I'll be looking to change it out. Pretty windy in SD!

tunkcurt1
Explorer
Explorer
You will be happy with your decision. I have the 2014 Denali 1500 w/ 6.2 and similar size trailer (9000# gross) and it is capable. I have towed it probably a couple thousand miles over the last couple years. However I did add the Blue Ox sway control and Firestone air bags on the rear axle to give me more control. It is capable, but it is not an enjoyable ride. We recently moved in to a seasonal site so I don't have to worry about towing anymore.

FWIW, I probably would have chosen to upgrade my truck if I was going to continue towing long distances. Of course, then I would have probably upgraded to a 5'er at the same time ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Sportscoach Encore 380DS
330HP CAT Turbo Diesel

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Well... Sig links seems to be working again, for now! Lol
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Everything looks good in my sig.

Here is just the web pages:

WDH Set Up

How a wdh works

CAT Scale how to I have seen one here on RV.Net as well, just haven't come across it again....

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
It seems there is an issue with the forum. I will check the links, but couldn't post here a few minutes ago, and since earlier this afternoon couldn't post in another thread....

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep.. they are broke links.

Need a vacation needs to come off of vacation for a minute and fix his sig :B LOL

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

swethog
Explorer
Explorer
ok so I epic failed a quote, but you get the point.

swethog
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
Follow the links in my signature (above post) on how to adjust a wdh....

I've tried two separate browsers but none of your sig links lead anywhere.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
swethog wrote:
Thanks. I have posed several questions to the camper dealer about the WDH and will go from there.
I bought the camper and we pick it up March 31st! Very excited. Been a long 5 days.

YW!!!

Just know that you will probably need to readjust the wdh once you load the trailer. The dealer is only setting th wdh up for an empty trailer.... Follow the links in my signature (above post) on how to adjust a wdh....

Bet the end of the month can't get here soon enough!!! Lol I know with our winter being over (done snowmobiling) I am looking forward to getting our rig paroled from inside storage.... Have a couple more mods I would like to do.

swethog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I have posed several questions to the camper dealer about the WDH and will go from there.
I bought the camper and we pick it up March 31st! Very excited. Been a long 5 days.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
With a dry tw of 944lbs, you will be about 1100lbs with the propane tanks and a battery before even loading up the trailer. Make sure you get the 1400lb rated wd bars with the Husky Centerline. The 1200lb bars will not be enough!!!

The one thing with the Centerline model that veered me away from it was that most users reported needing to be in almost a straight line to hook up/ unhook the wd bars. Not a big deal to some, but could be to others. The other thing is the highest bar rating was 1200lbs at the time we were buying our new trailer. I knew we would be over that Once loaded up. Performance wise I don't recall any bad reviews. A few early versions had to have the compression cylinder(s) replaced (not sure if both sides or just one) under warranty (no hassle from what was posted), but it seems the later versions didn't have any issues.

Congrats on the crew cab!!! I was wondering if the double cab would have enough room.

Keep us posted!!!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
This is all new to me.

With a trailer as long and heavy as you are contemplating, I'd suggest that you take your truck and trailer to a frame and axle shop and have them install/setup the WDH. I'd also suggest you do some research on the Husky centerline, along with others, and decide which hitch setup is right for you. There are a few that have integrated sway control and that would be my choice. If the selling dealer will credit back the cost of the Centerline, I would buy a WDH aftermarket and have that same frame shop install it and do the setup. The reason I suggest a frame/axle shop instead of an RV dealer is that the independent shop will have good experience and view the hitch as a task for which they are responsible. An RV dealer will look at it like the last bit to finish before they push you out the door.

BTW, while the trailer is at the frame shop, have them service/repack the wheel bearings and adjust the brakes. There are a few bad stories of new trailers where bearings or brakes have been installed/adjusted incorrectly.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

swethog
Explorer
Explorer
As for the WDH, some of what you said is new to me, but the camper dealer is throwing in a Center Line WDH (no other info given) he says is worth $440, if that helps determine which one. He said it doesn't have chains but does help with sway control. A local used RV dealer with no dog in the fight said to bring it to him (buying the camper 35 miles away) and he will help me make sure it is setup correctly. He deals mostly with Blue Ox but seeing that is a two-part WDH I didn't feel comfortable getting the WDH from him and then going to get the camper where I would have to install the other part of the WDH myself.

This is all new to me.