cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding a Skylight?

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about adding a skylight in the living area. Any thing wrong with that and is it a major project.
Thanks to all:)
6 REPLIES 6

gdhillard
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic Vent has a clear/smoked plastic cover on their fands and vents, that gives a nice view of the stars and weather. Fits a 14 inch hole you might already have. I have both the fan, and the plain vent in my 1969 Terry, and love the view at night of the stars.

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
you talked me out of it.
I'll open the windows instead:)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
From about year 3 of my new 5er, the skylight was a constant source of leaking. The ceiling fan hole and the shower skylight never leaked, but the big living room one did. I tried Eternabond and Dicor, neither of which stopped it.

I finally found Heng's Rubber roof coating, which goes on like paint and gets in every possible hole. I finally got it stopped. I redo it every year.

Good luck with your skylight project!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Can be done, but like mentioned above, extra framing will need to be added - framing that surrounds the opening of the skylight so you have something other than roof plywood to screw the skylight's mounting flange to.

Me: I am not a fan of the skylight in my truck camper because it's a source of heat loss in the winter, and incoming heat in the summer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"Major Project"???
I guess it depends on how handy you are.
You will have to add extra framing and of course you will have to cut a major hole in the roof (and that's the part that scares me).

Of course you are aware that leaks are the real, "major project," when it comes to RV's.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
see new thread " Living area skylight "
bumpy