cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aliner air conditioner install.

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
My family is taking a long road trip from Oregon to Tennessee, down around Alabama, and Mississippi.

My folks have an Aliner and would like me to install an air conditioner it that will run off a Honda EU2000.

I have seen the side mount just to left of the door opening and that will most likely be the way I go, too. Any tips, tricks or pitfalls to lookout for going this route?

What AC model is best utilized for this install?

Has anyone seen or have experience with installing AC anywhere else on the Aliner?

Thanks in advance for any info you could provide.

-Craig
1997 F350 CrewCab PSD 4x4, auto.
2005 SnowRiver 8'10", Loaded + EU2000i.
2005 8.5'x16' Interstate West Cargo trailer, Line-X'ed
2005 16' Fish-Rite Rogue welded aluminum boat, 2005 40HP Yamaha 2-stroke O/B.
15 REPLIES 15

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the unavailability of a 5000 btu window unit with upward facing air, and top controls, my folks decided to go with an 8000 btu portable unit that also is a dehumidifier. This will store nicely in the garage at home for those cooler trips.

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a shot of my 06 LXE with no cabinet over the ac:

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, looks exactly the same, and with no microwave.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
A 2008 Classic would have had the A/C unit to the rear of the entry door. There is probably a cabinet there which might contain a microwave.

Here is an inside shot;

and an outside shot;

Make sure to install a grille in the side of the cabinet for return air to the unit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
I made it over to a local Aliner dealer to look over how the AC unit was installed. That and figured out that street side won't work on my folks 2008 model(Aliner Classic) due to the heater outlet location.

Looks like it's going to get mounted on the curb side by the door opening.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Only the last year or two has had the AC on the street side. Previously it was always on the curb side.

Tell us what year and model you are working on. We can probably find a picture to indicate where CNW put the AC unit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
My mom saw on a brochure somewhere that the 5000 BTU AC was installed on the street side, behind the sink. Obviously to do this, I would have to relocate her sink and possibly have to replace the counter top to do this, but this would certainly give me more options for the installation.

Anyone have an Aliner with the AC unit on the street side?

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
INSAYN wrote:
Does it just start flowing when the switch is turned on, or do you still have to lift the faucet handle?

Just turn on the switch "clicky" when pumping water from your tank. The same faucet is also used when connected to a "city" water supply, thus the faucet handle is raised to turn the "city" water on.

The volume of my pump is not great but is at least as good as manual pumping. You could get fancier with a automatic pressure pump but my pump only cost $30 from JC Whitney (Don't know if they still sell it or not).

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what ALiner has installed in the past, but today Forest River uses the Dometic Cool Cat (about 8000 BTU/hr) in their hard-side folders. The same A/C or heat pump is used by some van conversion (RV Class B) manufacturers.

The Cool Cat is about twice as expensive as the lowest cost 5000 BTU window mounts, but actual sale price ($225-250) is not out of line with price of reasonable quality A/Cs (Kenmore, LG, Frigidaire) of the same size.

I mention this because we've been talking 5000, and since you are going to someplace not only hot, but extremely humid, you might want to take notice of what a manufacturer of a similar hard-side folder thinks is the appropriate size.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
Does it just start flowing when the switch is turned on, or do you still have to lift the faucet handle?

gheicher wrote:
I also added a water pump. It was an inexpensive one that must be turned on and off. Works good and I did use the same pump type faucet. Now I can get water by either manually pumping or turn on the electric pump. For pic click here- Scroll to bottom of page.

INSAYN wrote:
Cool, thanks for the responses and pics. I can use all the tips and trick available.

The other question I forgot to ask about was 12v water pump. Currently my folks trailer has a fresh water tank (10 or 17 gal can't remember off hand). The faucet is a hand pump unit that mom hates.

What pump will work with this faucet, or should I just replace the faucet too and go with a 12 volt pump with a pressure switch like used in most RV's?

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
I also added a water pump. It was an inexpensive one that must be turned on and off. Works good and I did use the same pump type faucet. Now I can get water by either manually pumping or turn on the electric pump. For pic click here- Scroll to bottom of page.

INSAYN wrote:
Cool, thanks for the responses and pics. I can use all the tips and trick available.

The other question I forgot to ask about was 12v water pump. Currently my folks trailer has a fresh water tank (10 or 17 gal can't remember off hand). The faucet is a hand pump unit that mom hates.

What pump will work with this faucet, or should I just replace the faucet too and go with a 12 volt pump with a pressure switch like used in most RV's?

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
A lady on the Facebook Aliner group page had her dealer (also my dealer, in Buford, GA) install an a/c unit on the front of her older unit, which is unusual, but it works. I think she bought the Sears 5K unit, as well, for him to install for her.

You definitely need one that has the blower vents on top. Ours is on the street side; older models have them on the curb side. I like ours b/c it doesn't drip on us and is quieter when we're sitting outside, since it's on the other side.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some pictures of the AC I installed in my Aliner ALINER MODS. A little different that the factory installation, but it works well and with some Reflectix on the windows, it even did good in 100 degree weather without being in the shade.

Since all Aliners use basically house AC units that are not made to go bouncing down the road, I understand the factory may add some supporting foam to help prevent the rough roads from damaging the refrigeration plumbing.