cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bonehead Mistake Atwood Water Heater

RUSSELL5000
Explorer
Explorer
So, did the bonehead mistake of not recognizing that the water heater was bypassed.

Arrived late, did not think, turned power to water heater on following minimal set-up, showered in campground bath house, and went to bed.

No hot water the next morning; instantly realized the water heater was bypassed.

Turned water heater off, changed bypass valves, turned water heater back on. Water heater worked fine on gas, but was leaking.

I hope that the nylon drain plug was deformed due to the hot tank when no water; that is where water was leaking from.

I have the six gallon Atwood gas electric dsi model number GC6AA-10E.

Did I hopelessly ruin this water heater or is there a chance it will be ok?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
I doubt the leak from the plug has anything to do with the electric element burning out.

Ditto.

Leaking drain plug, easy fix. Tighten it.
Bob

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting, and the final fix! Happy Camping!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

RUSSELL5000
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would add a follow-up.

Drove to campground Friday night, 06/17. Replaced plug; used new plug with a couple of wraps of Teflon tape in a thread or two. No water leak.

Water heater works fine on propane; will use on propane only until this trip is over.

Will then replace electric heating element, go over all the rest carefully.

Seems I got lucky.

RUSSELL5000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys.

I am back at work and the family is using the shower in the bath house at the campground and a trip to the bath house for a jug of hot water to wash dishes. An inconvenience, but not substantial.

I have assembled my tools and parts and will be at the trailer this weekend.

This gives me hope that I did not destroy the unit.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
our electric water heater has an on/off for the electric supply right next to the propane switch, so we make sure BOTH are off when travelling

a previous electric/propane heater had the electric switch outside behind the metal cover, dumb imho
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
At least you didn't do the bone-head thing that I did! We went to South Carolina in March for a week. I did not run Pink Stuff on our return home, (couldn't find any), but did blow the lines out. I had the water heater on by-pass.

In late April we went out again for a 3 day week-end. I forget about the by-pass since I blew lines out and did not have to flush the pink. I flipped on the electric, and after a while, only cold water.

I thought something might be wrong, so flipped on the gas. A few hours later, no hot water.

Then I realied... THE BY-PASS!

I filled the tank with water and expect no electric, element burned out for sure. But was diappointed when ZIP happened with gas.

And the bath house at the camp ground was under renovation (closed). Arr.

Anyway, long story short, took it in for repair. Electric element burned out and the thermostat shot! Got both fixed and been happy camping ever since.

To answer your question ... as stated above, your electric element should have burned out within a few seconds, not allowing the tank to get hot enough to do any damage. (Gas on the other had will continue to heat, even without water .... so I learned).

So if your plug is leaking, its not a big deal. Replace it. Simple solution.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
If it is just leaking from the plug no problem at all. The electric heating element would burn out in a couple minutes. I know from experience.:) I would pull out the plug and put a little Teflon tape on it a put it back in. Thats what I do so I don't have to tighten it up to much. I doubt the leak from the plug has anything to do with the electric element burning out. You can go to a big box store and buy a new element for about 10 bucks (instead of 30 bucks at a rv store. Very easy fix. They also sell a wrench to remove the element for about 5 bucks. All though I could not get the wrench on the element good enough to remove the element. It is a 1 and 1/2 socket. The socket needs to be ground down to get in the tight spot but works perfectly to remove the element. Many of us here have done the same bonehead thing!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!