cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

boondocking

MFOX
Explorer
Explorer
We have been loving our new to us travel trailer this summer. This weekend we are boondocking/no electric hookup. We had moved up from a popup so we know ways to conserve a little, but I was wondering if anyone had additional ideas that will help. We really can't afford a generator, so this year not really an option. Thanks
MFox
Wonderful DH
Three kids:)
Daughter 99
Sons 01 & 05
Four rescue dogs who are wonderful!
19 REPLIES 19

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Crabbypatty wrote:
Use portable lights instead of house lights. The water pump will kill the battery for sure, so use it sparingly. Your tow vehicle will charge the battery when plugged in. So hook it up and run car for an hour a day. Depending on your TT charger that could put 30 amps back in the battery. Use the campground showers or use baby wipes. When you get some extra cash add a second battery. As for a future generator stay away from the cheap loud ones and wait until you can buy a Yamaha or Honda inverter series gen. They run for a long time, use little fuel and as importantly they are quiet. So you and your neighbors will get along better.
Plugging into the car will NOT run the TT charger (convertor). You need 110 AC for this (shorepower)
It will charge a little off of the altenator.. But is so slow as to make it pretty much useless.
I tried this when I first started out and measured 1.6 amps going to the battery. About as inefficient as it gets for a V8 powered generator. :B

I wouldn't worry about the water pump draw. Sure it draws a lot of amps, but it can only do it until the water runs out.
At 2.8 gallons a minute, a 28 gallon tank is empty in 10 min. 42 gallons in 15. Water consumption is more of a problem than the 12 volt power the pump uses.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
You will get a much better charge via the jumper cables than the 7 pin.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Use portable lights instead of house lights. The water pump will kill the battery for sure, so use it sparingly. Your tow vehicle will charge the battery when plugged in. So hook it up and run car for an hour a day. Depending on your TT charger that could put 30 amps back in the battery. Use the campground showers or use baby wipes. When you get some extra cash add a second battery. As for a future generator stay away from the cheap loud ones and wait until you can buy a Yamaha or Honda inverter series gen. They run for a long time, use little fuel and as importantly they are quiet. So you and your neighbors will get along better.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Go to eBay for your led bulbs
pawatt

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most important boondocking tip -- ease into it. Don't try a big boondocking trip till you have worked out the kinks.

Head over to the boondocking forum if you have specific questions -- and here are some ideas to get you started:

Some boondocking tips
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

fairfaxjim
Explorer
Explorer
LED lights make a bigger difference than many realize.

If you are REALLY boondocking, a trench shovel with a roll of TP on the handle for all daytime needs.

I find that running the furnace a short while just before going to bed and a nice heavy down comforter allows us to turn the heater WAY back at night. If you have a digital thermostat, set it to run for a short while just before you get up. That way you can get undressed, sleep, and get dressed in the morning warm with little furnace time.
Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously you want the fridge and the water heater to work so try not to use any thing else that uses a lot of juice. Fan motors use a lot so don't run vent fans any more than necessary. Keep light usage to a very minimum buy using lanterns or flashlights, use the water pump as little as possible. If your battery is well charged when you set up you should be able to make it through the weekend. Really not much different than your popup.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
In preparing to camp in conserve mode, the only mod was to replace some of the lights to LED. The two of us can dry camp comfortably for 6 days with our setup.

We also use wash basins in the kitchen sinks to maximize water usage before it goes down the drain.

MFOX
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advice. I haven't been able to find LED lights I will look at the websites you posted. I forgot about water pump. We do have water this weekend. Thank you again
MFox
Wonderful DH
Three kids:)
Daughter 99
Sons 01 & 05
Four rescue dogs who are wonderful!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW there is an entire section of this forum dedicated to "Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping". Lots of tips, techniques, and even pictures of favorite locations. The stickies in that section would probably be a great help to new boondockers.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a large water container with a small faucet on picnic table. If anyone has to wash their hands, they wash them there, pump is not running. Heat water on gas stove. Lots of little things you can do. They all add up.
You do that say if you are camping in the back of beyond or if you are at a campground with toilets, showers but no electricity. Makes a big difference.

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 8 days boondocking on the north shore of Lake Superior last year.
There are two components to this, saving energy,I designed the trailer for this exact purpose with all LED lights very efficient Morningstar 300W inverter to power DVD/TV. We use a french press for coffee...
We do have a 185W solar panel which powers as well as the rest of it a Waeco 12V refrigerator. I would also recomend the use the TV and a set of jumper cables idea and have mine set up so I can do that if bad weather/clouds prevent the solar panel doing its job. I alos have a Victron batter monitor which tells me if we approach the 50% depth of discharge below which you do not want to go.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
SunElec.com Look for 12 volt panels, and a simple PWM controller. You might need to call them, as there are not many 12 volt panels listed online, yet they stock more than they update the online list. In other words they get in more panels weekly, but update the website only a couple of times a year.

With a 120 watt solar panel, you can extend your dry camping by weeks.

If you change to LED light panels, you can cut down on your battery use too!

AliExpress.com THen search for 24 LED 5050 panel. I bought 50 of them for $1.20 each. These are used to light up my RV, and also along the exterior of my house! They only use about 0.15 amps each, compared to a 1.2 amp regular light!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com