cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bypassing the battery

gerryskid34
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, please excuse my ignorance, but can I remove my battery and hook up the pos and neg connecting terminal wires directly to still have access to a/c power in my outlets?
I realize the battery is needed for some functions like lights and what not, but I am interested in keeping the a/c power to wall outlets to run electronic mouse/bug repellants thru the winter.
Is there any danger in doing this and what so? Can what I am asking just be accomplished by turning off the breaker for the invertor and if so, would it be listed in my fuse area? Thank you for your help.
Dave
19 REPLIES 19

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You would just leave the battery connections loose (protect the + terminal). Then you could do as you ask.
I wouldnโ€™t leave the battery in with the built in charger all winter. Those converter/chargers are cheap and will over charge and boil the water out of the battery. Now you could disconnect the battery and put a battery tender on it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
If the RV is plugged in, the battery can be removed. All systems (both 12v and 120v) will work.

And yes a few items might be connected direct to the battery in addition to the main cables. These items need to be connected to the main cables to function.
NOT ALWAYS!!!
This is a blanket statement, that is not true for all RVS.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
on edit: IN THE ABSENCE OF A RED WARNING STICKER STATING OTHERWISE

If the RV is plugged in, the battery can be removed. All systems (both 12v and 120v) will work.

And yes a few items might be connected direct to the battery in addition to the main cables. These items need to be connected to the main cables to function.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The battery has NOTHING, whatsoever, to do with the 120v wall outlets.

Removing the battery and hooking the positive and negative wires together WILL give the converter/charger a direct short and blow the fuses. Hopefully, that is all it will do. If you are lucky.

Removing the battery, and NOT hooking the positive and negative wires together, is OK, maybe. (Be sure the positive wire is isolated and not touching ANYTHING.) It depends on which converter/charger you have. Some of them require a battery in the circuit, and some do not.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your post is a bit confusing?

Are you saying you will be connected to shore power? If so, why not leave the battery in place. It won't freeze if kept charged. Are you concerned about theft of battery?

You said inverter, but maybe meant converter? Is your converter a smart model, with float charge?

A different type of rodent deterrent may be a better option?

Jerry