cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper travel trailer noob questions

Texanfordfan
Explorer
Explorer
About to pull the trigger on a 2016 Dutchman Aerolite 292 DBHS.
http://www.dutchmen.com/aerolite/floorplans-and-pictures/floorplan-details?modelId=22695

I'm hoping I got a good deal at 31950 out the door. This one has the 50 amp service and all options and packages. MSRP is 41,759 at camping world of Houston and I close the deal Wednesday afternoon. The salesman said my truck can handle this beast, but now I'm having doubts. Camper dry weight is 6500 and hitch at 895. My TV is a 2013 F150 CC SWB FX4 with 5.0 with 7350 tow capacity. I'd like to know your thoughts on this configuration and what WDH I should get, or even if I should reconsider this exact camper. My wife and I have looked at many campers over the years and really like this one and are excited to get this particular TT with all the options and a whatnot. What things can I add to make going down the road easier and safer? Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

Texanfordfan
Explorer
Explorer
What problems will I run into if I was at max. Is it the handling, starting, stopping or merging? Not sure how the capacitys very so much on these trucks. Isn't it the same frame, trans and rear end? Is it just the gears that effect it so much? My last truck was a 250 and got rid because of the maintenance and repair costs.

dtzackus
Explorer
Explorer
You will be maxed and a little over with your family, food, clothes and everything else in the rig. I would rethink your TV and go with a 250 or smaller unit.

I would recommend the equalizer WDH, but regardless of what WDH you go with, it will not add to your towing capacity.
Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2018 Highland Ridge Open Range OF374BHS
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller