cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

camping in yellowstone

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
I see there are a number of options but I've heard they fill up quick. I was wondering where people have been as far as campgrounds, recommendations, etc. Just looking for some quick or short reviews on places.

also, whats a good route (or rather, whats a route to avoid) when towing? Steep grades, tight turns, things like that.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH
17 REPLIES 17

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search for "Yellowstone", and you get other threads where your questions have been addressed.

That said, I stayed in Tetons, and drove into Yellowstone one day. Very heavy traffic, so that took lots of time. While camping in Tetons (Coulter Bay, or others on the north end) is very nice, if you intend to spend most of your time in Yellowstone, it will take much more driving.

But, Teton National Park has lots to offer, also. Depends on what you are looking for. We decided that there was too much traffic in Yellowstone to warrant another trip in on another day, so we did not see much of that Park.

Happy travels!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Gideon
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we stayed just west of Cody WY (Yellowstone Valley Inn) and drove our tow into Yellowstone (stayed 10 days). The east entrance is curvy and steep for about 6-8 miles past the check-in station. After that, it is beautiful and mostly downhill into the park. The NE entrance is not recommended for an RV or camper - way to curvy and steep hills. We did not try to stay inside the park as reservations were very difficult to obtain. It was an incredible trip.

firestorm79
Explorer
Explorer
We took 191 out of Bozeman to West Yellowstone. Winding road but a pretty easy drive overall.

We did a day trip through the park before moving on but if we did stay it would have been in West Yellowstone.