cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Elevation

gamblerbad
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to travel from Houston, TX to Memphis, TN. I have a 33' travel trailer and pull it with a F150. I am at my towing max and will not be able to climb mountains or high elevations.

Does anyone know if this trip has any high elevations or concerns on this route?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever route you take, you're likely to not go much over 500 feet in elevation gain, and it's likely to be very gradual in most places, especially in Arkansas, where it will be boringly flat from Little Rock to Memphis.

H E R E is a sample of what your route may look like in elevation changes...which is negligible.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

goat_rancher
Explorer
Explorer
I use to make that trip occasionally. I took Hwy 59 to Texarkana, then I-30 to Little Rock, then I-40 to Memphis. About 480 or so miles.

gamblerbad
Explorer
Explorer
I actually live in Montgomery which is the North side of Houston. I was going to go I-45 to Hwy 19 and cut over. We were going to stay in Texarkana on the way for one night and then drive in from there.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
follow your route in google earth and it shows elevations enroute. no mountains or high elevations there that I can remember.
bumpy

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
gamblerbad wrote:
I would like to travel from Houston, TX to Memphis, TN. I have a 33' travel trailer and pull it with a F150. I am at my towing max and will not be able to climb mountains or high elevations.

Does anyone know if this trip has any high elevations or concerns on this route?

Thanks!

No elevation change to be concerned about...practically no elevation change at all, relatively speaking.

Houston is at/near sea level. Highest point in Louisiana is 535 feet, in the northern part of the state. Highest point in Mississippi is 806 feet in extreme northeastern MS. Elevation at Memphis is 337 feet.

You don't indicate which way you may want to go, but you could take I-10 to I-12 then I-55 and then north through MS to Memphis on I-55. No where near any of the "high" points in the respective states mentioned.

OR..you could take I-10 to Baton Rouge, LA then take US 61 north all the way to Memphis. It's 4-lane and parallels the Mississippi River, so you'd have next to no elevation change to speak of.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.