cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Winterzing

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
It's time to put the camper away for the season, so we bought the pink stuff and got ready to winterize. Hubby has done this without issue the last 3 seasons and this time it didn't go so well.

We have a Northtrail 24RBS with a Shurflo classic pump. All lines were drained (hubby chose not to blow out the lines this year), set the hose from the pump into the pink stuff jug, turned on the pump, flipped the switches on the pump itself, then turned on the closest faucet cold side. Sputter, spittle and finally pink stuff started coming through, closed the cold valve, opened the hot and same thing for all faucets. By the time he got to the outside shower, nothing was happening. The pump appears to be running, but not sucking up pink stuff.

He's checked his process, took apart a couple of fittings on the water pump and didn't find anything blocking or plugging filters/lines. We had the camper out the weekend before and everything worked well.

He is absolutely perplexed and wondering if it's time to replace the pump. If this is the next step - which pump do we go with now? Any advice is appreciated. I've been doing my part in researching what may be the issue and haven't come across anything concrete yet.
Live for today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed.
8 REPLIES 8

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this is not what the OP asked about. I found a very good article on winterizing and I decided to share it. It seems to be pretty generic for a lot of trailers.

Winterizing
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
FOLLOW UP - hubby went back out, checked all the lines, faucets, valves. In the end, he ended up replacing the water pump with a compatible Flo-Jet and it works like a charm. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

BZ_MAN
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
is the shower head by chance turned off

That's what I was thinking too....check the little button on the actual spray heat itself.

This is my thought too. You can turn the hot and cold on, but if the head itself it turned off, nothing will come out. My current outside shower has a button on the handle as previously mentioned, but the one on my old ROO had sort of a dial on top of the head that you turn.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Vortec Max
2015 Keystone Passport 3320BH
2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS - Sold

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
Is the pick-up line plugged or the in line valve not open completely ?

Also, you will need to let the pump run for awhile prior to opening any valves whatsoever. It will take 6-8 gallons of pink stuff to winterize, unless you have closed off the water heater & used the by-pass, if it has one.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but the pump may have lost it's prime. try pouring the antifreeze into the pick-up line, holding the line above the pump, while the pump is running, just to get things started.

Thank you! I'll print this out for hubby to try as well. We knew about letting the pump run first and the water heater and by-pass are off as well. Ours takes just shy of 2 gallons of pink stuff though.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:

That's what I was thinking too....check the little button on the actual spray heat itself.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Is the pick-up line plugged or the in line valve not open completely ?

Also, you will need to let the pump run for awhile prior to opening any valves whatsoever. It will take 6-8 gallons of pink stuff to winterize, unless you have closed off the water heater & used the by-pass, if it has one.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but the pump may have lost it's prime. try pouring the antifreeze into the pick-up line, holding the line above the pump, while the pump is running, just to get things started.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:

Yup - hubby went through to make sure all the faucets were off and then had me do a double check when he saw how slow it was taking.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer